Radial tires vs rocks

oosik

Super Star Member
Tractor
2009 Kubota M6040
I'm considering radial tires for my Kubota M6040. I have sharp basaltic lava bedrock outcroppings and lava rocks on my property. I avoid the outcroppings like the plague. However - slowly but surely the single rocks DO take bites out of the tire chevrons. After twelve years my bias ply rear tires look like they were the main feature at a corn eating festival.

For those of you "in the know". Would radials be any less prone to this situation. I ask because the conversion is a LARGE cost.

Thanks for your input.

PILOON

Super Star Member
Tractor
MT180D
I believe the radials would not fare better, after all they are still rubber.
Save your $$'s towards the next change.(in another 12 years)

fried1765

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, 8N Ford, Gravely 12 HP "Professional", 48" SCAG Liberty
I'm considering radial tires for my Kubota M6040. I have sharp basaltic lava bedrock outcroppings and lava rocks on my property. I avoid the outcroppings like the plague. However - slowly but surely the single rocks DO take bites out of the tire chevrons. After twelve years my bias ply rear tires look like they were the main feature at a corn eating festival.

For those of you "in the know". Would radials be any less prone to this situation. I ask because the conversion is a LARGE cost.

Thanks for your input.
Go for the same bias ply replacement tires!
In 12 more years you will be 91. I'll be 92, and both of us may be riding tricycles instead of tractors.
I believe the radials might actually be more susceptible to damage in your situation.

OP
oosik

oosik

Super Star Member
Tractor
2009 Kubota M6040
Thanks guys. I wondered about that. Besides - the change over from bias to radial is so darn expensive. Bias is plenty expensive as it is.

Ahhh - the current tires are, in all reality, still OK. The rears have chunks - size of nickels cut out of some of the chevrons.

Attack of the RUBBER beavers.