Rail roads and their tracks.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #1,411  
Probably the Black Hand Tunnel in Toboso Oh. It was on the Ohio Electric line. 1890-1929.
IMG_1962.JPG

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #1,412  
I took this short video after riding my bike through the Brush Tunnel on the PA. MD. border. It was one of the most thrilling railroad experiences I've had. It might have been a different story if the steam engine had passed me in the tunnel. There is no danger of being hit unless you're on the tracks but the tunnel fills with smoke and cinders!

They now have warning signs about being in the tunnel when a train passes. They weren't posted when I made the video.

P1080226b.jpg

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #1,414  
I took this short video after riding my bike through the Brush Tunnel on the PA. MD. border. It was one of the most thrilling railroad experiences I've had. It might have been a different story if the steam engine had passed me in the tunnel. There is no danger of being hit unless you're on the tracks but the tunnel fills with smoke and cinders!

They now have warning signs about being in the tunnel when a train passes. They weren't posted when I made the video.

View attachment 717577

Always wanted to ride that train.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #1,415  
IMG_2126.JPG
IMG_2137.JPG

Blue ridge tunnel

Built 1849-1858, 4273’ long and used until 1944 when a larger tunnel was made beside it for modern locomotives. At one point it’s 700 ft below the surface, which includes the southern end of the skyline drive.

Last edited:
   / Rail roads and their tracks. #1,416  
Cool tunnel, part of a trail now?

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #1,417  
Cool tunnel, part of a trail now?

A short trail. Was .6 mile from west end trailhead to rocky end. Another trailhead further away on the east end.
IMG_2132.JPG

IMG_2140.JPG

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #1,418  
Since it's almost Halloween, I thought it would be appropriate to post this one.

These are shots of the Finderation or Brandy Gap Tunnel #2 on the old abandoned B&O Railroad right of way near Salem WV. It is now part of the North Bend Rail trail.

The tunnel is reputed to be haunted due to it's somewhat gruesome history. Strange noises can be heard inside the tunnel allegedly due to the fact that it passes directly under an old graveyard. My brother and I didn't hear noises when we biked the trail but we both experienced shortness of breath about midway through. I suspect it was stale or "dead" air rather than a ghostly manifestation.

An interesting read for those who believe in this sort of thing:

P1030441b.jpg
P1030436b.jpg

P1030433b.jpg
P1030445b.jpg
P1030446b.jpg