Rail roads and their tracks.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #2,901  
Was hoping to keep this on real trains used in industry... What does everyone else think?
I think you like to micromanage too much. lol

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #2,902  
Maybe the steam models belong in a different thread.

For me, what I admire most is the work the builders have put into them. The modelers seem to be mostly retired machinists etc who have thousands of hours invested before their baby runs.

I spoke to one owner who told me he has about 2,000 hours into just maintenance of a 2-8-2 scale model that the original builder 40 years ago spent some 5,000 hours creating.

My cousin, a retired electronics tech, (and patent owner) has put a lot of work into the signals system that is as complex as a real railroad. Interlocking go/no signaling, remote operated switches that automatically halt a train facing a switch open the wrong way, live communication system, lots more.

The craftsmanship on everything is amazing.

Last edited:
   / Rail roads and their tracks. #2,904  
Looks to me like a bridge failure.
After the flooding on that river a few months ago, I am thinking bridge scour. The compacted material under the pier got washed downstream and the void filled in with sand and small material. I saw something about this on The History Channel MM Engineering Disasters episode about a freeway bridge in the Northeast. Other than dynamite, I can't think of any other reason that pier would collapse

/ Rail roads and their tracks.
#2,905  
After the flooding on that river a few months ago, I am thinking bridge scour. The compacted material under the pier got washed downstream and the void filled in with sand and small material. I saw something about this on The History Channel MM Engineering Disasters episode about a freeway bridge in the Northeast. Other than dynamite, I can't think of any other reason that pier would collapse
I thought the same thing since the river was up. Here is a video about that.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #2,906  
Very low participation from what I see.
The big holidays it is quite packed, but it is very expensive.
Bar car is usually the most crowded, and most expensive.
We pass by their maintenance yard and it is pretty messy, but they do have quite a few spares being worked on for the cars.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #2,907  
The big holidays it is quite packed, but it is very expensive.
Bar car is usually the most crowded, and most expensive.
IMO, compared to going into orbit, flying to Disney World for a weekend, or skydiving I suggest that any train ride is cheap and low-risk enjoyment for the bucks. (My para-sail ride in Cabo was too short, but still worth it)

Anyway, I can afford the bar car but still want a window seat available to sit by while I sober-up.

/ Rail roads and their tracks.
#2,908  
at Presque Isle Park in Marquette MI today. I posted the last boat-RR pics in the boat thread, so I'll swtich it up today. Who can tell me what the goofy looking dock on the right is for?
356854869_10227371758018799_7377134732612906598_n.jpg
356877729_10227371756978773_3919328456007926743_n.jpg