Rail roads and their tracks.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #21  
During my last 2 years of high school and another year or so, we lived right next to the railroad tracks in a big old 2 story house that Dad bought. And we were so accustomed to the trains that the only time I even thought about the noise was when one went by and drowned out what I was listening to on the TV.

And when I was doing gas leakage surveys, I was sent from Texas to Duncan, AZ. Since they didn't use Daylight Savings Time, it was a 2 hour time difference from what I was accustomed to; terrible waiting until what I was accustomed to as 10 a.m. to go to work each morning. The only RV site with hookups had us backed up to the railroad tracks. I soon learned there was a train that went north to the copper mine in the morning, and went south loaded at night. It was not only LOUD but shook the bed in the motorhome when it went south loaded at night.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #22  
A couple from Blackhand Gorge, in Ohio FB_IMG_1584831932345.jpegFB_IMG_1584831904131.jpeg

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #23  
No one here went to see the BIG boy this past summer?? It was in WI and even came up to Duluth MN so now I wished we'd have went there. :mad: Duluth is not far from us!

I saw "Big Boy" 4014 and "Living Legend" 844 double heading to Ogden when they passed through Laramie, Wy in May. It was quite a sight! Unfortunately, since UPRR only wants two active steam locomotives, Challenger 3985 is retired. It would require a ground up and very expensive rebuild.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #24  
A lot of our rails have been turned into recreational trail systems. Before the rails were taken up one track running from Columbia Falls to Calais had a group of enthusiasts who were trying to get the state to keep the tracks and find a different way to utilize them; the group had trucks and RVs set up to run on them. It didn't matter, the RR bed is now an ATV/snowsled trail.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #25  
A lot of our rails have been turned into recreational trail systems. Before the rails were taken up one track running from Columbia Falls to Calais had a group of enthusiasts who were trying to get the state to keep the tracks and find a different way to utilize them; the group had trucks and RVs set up to run on them. It didn't matter, the RR bed is now an ATV/snowsled trail.

Same down here atv/snowsled and now walking/bike trail...

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #26  
I have lived in a railroad town all my life. We still have lots of active rails and some abandoned. We recently lost a rail line in 1972 to Hurricane Agnes (still the worst natural disaster in Pennsylvania history). Its a shame because there were many small trestle bridges and steep grades. Very picturesque. It was amazing when I was a boy watching such a mighty, heavy train run along a steep narrow ridge. Wonderful memories.

Now.....take yourself back to 1968 (if you’re old enough to remember) and look at this picture taken on railroad tracks literally on a farm where I farm hay in my little town. Anyone know who these 3 men are?

Yep. Want me to say it? ;)

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #28  
No one here went to see the BIG boy this past summer?? [/video]

I watched it online as it stopped in Kearney NE via the Virtual Railfan Youtube site. There may be some footage of it on their site.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #29  
Yep. Want me to say it? ;)
Are you a fan of them?
Before you do, I took this picture a few weeks ago in the same spot. This rail was abandoned due to destruction caused a few miles away by Hurricane Agnes.
This is what it looks like, 48 years later, where the picture of the 3 men are in my previous post.

Attachments

• DF883382-C92B-41D4-B1FB-49ACB773827B.png
    DF883382-C92B-41D4-B1FB-49ACB773827B.png
    6.7 MB · Views: 305
   / Rail roads and their tracks.

Attachments

• IRHB_railroad_cut.jpg
    IRHB_railroad_cut.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 259