Rail roads and their tracks.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #1,241  
There are a few around here as well. I'd love to have one with the trucks on a section of rail. Would make a nice getaway cabin.
A pastor lived in one for many years on a siding behind our local Ace Hardware (used to be a BIG lumber yard served by rail). After he passed, they painted it white and put “ACE” on it in big red letters.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #1,242  
A pastor lived in one for many years on a siding behind our local Ace Hardware (used to be a BIG lumber yard served by rail). After he passed, they painted it white and put “ACE” on it in big red letters.
Are you saying it was past his time?

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #1,243  
I went to an “office” one time in CA that was an old rail car.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #1,244  
Heading to Pikes Peak tramway tomorrow. Gotta drive 6 hours from Moab… 🙃

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #1,245  
We’ve stopped at the Barstow Station McDonalds several times over the years.

Attachments

• 8B8C26A6-904C-4BD6-A362-3F9E9930CBBA.jpeg
    8B8C26A6-904C-4BD6-A362-3F9E9930CBBA.jpeg
    331.1 KB · Views: 49
   / Rail roads and their tracks. #1,246  
A pastor lived in one for many years on a siding behind our local Ace Hardware (used to be a BIG lumber yard served by rail).

Y'know, compared to the recent 'tiny house' trend a caboose could have a lot of room inside.

There are a few around here as well. .. Would make a nice getaway cabin.

I have an insert/hearth downstairs and a slate floor/hearth for a stove with 6" stack opening on a brick wall with bookshelves. (& behind a picture) There's no way I'll ever burn wood to heat the house but an old-enough caboose should have a wood-stove or a stack for one. I like the window positions say for spotting game too.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #1,247  
The scene from Thelma and Louis where they drive off the cliff was filmed just a few miles from those potash ponds.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #1,248  
Make it 7 hours
I-70 closed from mud slides

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #1,249  
There are several old rail tank cars around here at farms and businesses set up on stands being used as fuel tanks. They look like they're from the 40's.

At my old employer, they were directional boring in some new internet lines down an alley. The owner told the boring company that there were rumors that an old car lot that used to occupy the lot next to us had buried a rail tank car under the alley to use as a fuel tank for the auto store. Sure enough, the boring machine hit something. They started poking around the grass next to the alley and found a lid. Dug it up, and there sits a railroad tank car 2' underground.

They hired Safety Clean to pump out the car. It only had a few inches of stuff in it. Then they cleaned it. Then an environmental company drilled three holes in the bottom. One in the middle and one at each end. They did soil testing through the holes. Surprisingly, no ground contamination.

Next, they brought in a cement truck with a very wet mixture, and started filling it. Then another truck, and another. I left after the 3rd truck was empty. Don't know how many it took.

Finally, they buried the top, and ran the wires around it.

I can only imagine some day if someone decides to tear down that building and dig up the alley how they'll deal with that surprise.