Rail roads and their tracks.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #1,292  
So we actually did end up having to take 50 through Gunnison to get to Pikes Peak. An amazing drive, but I had to hurry. Took 7 hours to get from Moab to Colorado Springs because of the I70 mudslides closure. Big news out here. Might be the worst rockslides in CO history. Took out the railway along 70 and plugged up part of the Colorado River, too!
We finally made it through to Pikes Peak and took the Manitou Pikes Peak Cog Railway and it was great!
They re worked the tracks and are completing a new visitors center at the Peak. It was a lot more extensive and complex than I thought. Multiple cog trains of 2 engine powered cars run at once, so sidings were built to allow passing.
The powered cars were built in Switzerland, but they are Cummins powered! How cool is that!

View attachment 708313

Heres how they rolled long ago

View attachment 708314

A view while descending

View attachment 708316
Last Saturday on CBS Saturday morning they had a nice piece on the newly refreshed Pike's Peak RR. Meant to post a link to it last weekend. Here it is.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #1,293  
Last Saturday on CBS Saturday morning they had a nice piece on the newly refreshed Pike's Peak RR. Meant to post a link to it last weekend. Here it is.

It was great. Everyone should do this

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #1,294  
I did that back in the late 90's?? Nice to sit back and just enjoy the trip.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #1,296  
FB is swamped with big boy videos and pics on the UP site.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #1,297  
That is an impressive piece of machinery.
I wonder what it costs per day to operate it?

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #1,298  
Man that thing cranks out some smoke. Might need a dpf to run in some states?

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #1,299  
It crossed into TX today.