Rail roads and their tracks.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #2,832  
Five minutes of coal hoppers loading/unloading in HO scale. Cars begin loading at 1:15. At 3:00 they begin to unload. (Note fishing swivels used to connect a three car consist on the layout vs Kadee or NMRA couplers.)

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #2,833  
If there is a Whistle post they should be blowing....

I have a whistle post in my shop.
Learned to appreciate how large & heavy those were when I needed to move it.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #2,834  
Here's a railroad mystery just now unfolding. Thirty tons of ammonium nitrate vanished between manufacture at the Dyno plant in Cheyenne ("a global manufacturer of explosives", mostly for mining) and the destination, a remote rail siding in the Mohave Desert.

Latest update claims the seals on the railcar were intact before it was shunted into that 3-mile siding. No leaked material has been found anywhere.

This writeup emphasizes conspiracy thinking. Only 2.5 tons was needed for the OKC bombing. A simpler explanation is it was stolen for ag fertilizer.

Investigation is underway. It will be interesting to read why it was ordered delivered to such a remote location

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #2,835  
Here’s the whistle post in my shop

1684700678838.jpeg

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #2,836  
The picture that was with that post shows bags, but then infers the load may have been in a hopper car. Big difference if it was stolen of just leaked out.

/ Rail roads and their tracks.
#2,837  
Duluth, Missabe& Iron Range Railway Locomotive: 2-8-8-4

The Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway hauled iron ore in Minnnesota, Iron ore is heavy and the DM&IR operated long trains of ore cars, requiring maximum power. These locomotives were based upon ten 2-8-8-4s that Baldwin had built in the 1930s for the Western Pacific Railroad. The need for a larger, coal-burning firebox and a longer, all-weather cab led to the use of a four-wheel trailing truck, giving them the "Yellowstone" wheel arrangement. They were the most powerful Yellowstonesbuilt, producing traction.
348281290_241609935138782_8836651369410007897_n.jpg