random orbital sander help

/ random orbital sander help #1  

forgeblast

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deer 318
I need a new random-orbit sander my portar cable 332 finally died. I tried a ryobi from home depot but the unit would stall when turned sideways and would stall when putting pressure when sanding.
I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a random-orbit sander that doesnt stall when tipped sideways and has some power.
I am not worried about noise level, i use it in a barn I just need a unit that will hold up.
thanks

/ random orbital sander help #2  
I have a ridgid and it works great any angle.Im used to using air powered units as I worked in body shops a lot of years painting cars.The ridgid passed my expectations for a electric sander.Not to mention they have a great warrantee as long as you remember to register it with ridgid when u buy it

/ random orbital sander help #4  
I had a Porter Cable that quit last year. Replaced it with a Milwaukee from amazon. So far so good.

Jeff

/ random orbital sander help #5  
I started out with the less expensive tools, but found that they didn't last very long and I was always wanting more power or better performance. I pretty much just buy Bosch and Makita now. Lows has Bosch, Home Depot has Makita. If I don't need it right away, I buy from Amazon or I do a search after researching the exact model that I want.

After several failures with other brands, and pads that didn't last very long and trying to find replacements, I went with this one, or one just like it.

Bosch ROS20VSK 120-Volt Variable Speed Random Orbit Sander Kit - Amazon.com

I have an almost new DeWalt sitting on my shelf that has gone through three pads. I can get them online, but they only last for a short time and then the sand paper wont stick to them anymore. I've had the Bosch for a couple years now and haven't had to replace the pad yet. Lowes has replacement pads in stock for it, which was another reason to buy it, even though I havent needed it.

I only buy Norton sand paper, which is sold at Home Depot. Lowes has the Gator brand, but it's junk. If you ever try both, you will see a huge difference in how long they last. This is especially true with sanding belts. I will drive twice as far, spend the extra time and money to get Norton over any other brand that's available to me closer.

Ryobi is a beginner, bottom end brand. Porter Cable may have been a decent brand a dozen years ago, but it's now all made in China without any quality control. Even in their prime, it was a medium quality tool.

Eddie

/ random orbital sander help #6  
Mine is a ridgid model R2611 it is 6" you can probably pickup a 5" pad to fit it also

/ random orbital sander help #7  
I haven't checked as of yet but if they offer a smooth surface pad for it you could buy stickit 3m paper from your local auto parts store and it would be a lot cheaper than buying the hook and loop style paper.I know when I was doing bodywork they offered a hook and loop style pad for my air powered DA but it was a lot more $$$ than pressure sensitive type sandpaper disk's

/ random orbital sander help
Thank you all for the information, I really do appreciate the responses.

I have a gift cert for home depot, so that plus what I spent on the bottom of the barrel I will go with the Makita.
I have a few packs of gator and norton, I agree the Norton is much better last for a long time with what I am doing.
I do need a "pro" model since I have not been able to do any finish work on my carvings since the sander went down. I have another mantle a friend ordered that needs working on also.
5 in. Random Orbit Sander-BO5030K at The Home Depot
Is the one that is in stock in my local store, I wish I went with this one since its only 20 dollars more then the one I bought.

/ random orbital sander help #9  
I have an old Mikita that I use all the time....works great at all angles. Bought it at a back yard sale for $5. Have been using it for 3 years. Also have a new Craftsman in the box.......bought at same yard sale for $10. I'll try it one of these days......when the Mikita stops working?????

/ random orbital sander help
Thank you all for the help. I went with the bo5030k makita It was 69.97 (I am not sure what the original price was). I like its power and it does not stall when turned sideways. I used it for 4 1/2 hours on Sunday and its a keeper. Thanks again for all the help.