Reaction at the cash register

/ Reaction at the cash register #1  

3Ts

Elite Member
Tractor
Case, Kubota, John Deere
I went into Tractor Supply today to pick up some bolts, most were from the bulk bin, but I also picked up a package of fender washers that were in a sealed package with a bar code and marked $1.49 on the tray (I confirmed the package code and the price code matched). I went up to pay for them and the gal behind the register put them on the scale and scanned the bar code. The register said $1.99. So, I pointed out there was a discrepancy in the pricing. She cancelled the bulk bin charge and I said it was the fender washers that were in error. She said she can fix it and that I don't have to be rude. :confused: I do not know how she thought I was being rude. My wife was with me at the time and I asked her afterward what she thought since she worked in retail at one time. She thought the clerk had been having a rough day probably because she was being challenged often on the prices. :2cents:

I feel sorry for her actually. She's probably not getting paid a whole lot and has to interact with customers that may be having a bad day as well. I try to be pleasant and uplifting to everyone I meet.

/ Reaction at the cash register #2  
I went into a Race Trac to get a cup of coffee, and waited my turn in line. The customer in front of me kept quite a distance from the one in front of her, and when the customer at the counter finished, the woman turned and reached for a candy bar. I simply walked around her, and laid my coffee on the counter. The sales clerk said "she was next" and I said she was still shopping. He argued, I left the coffee on the counter and turned away. Saw a manager on the way out, and all that she said was I could have the coffee at no charge, to which i declined. That cost the company a lot more than that, because my five students and myself have quit stopping at that store twice a day, five days a week. Got to love people who can't finish shopping before they get in line.
David from jax

/ Reaction at the cash register #3  
I'm sorry but I feel that store personal that clearly don't give a crap, (I only work here) don't deserve customers to try and be nice.

/ Reaction at the cash register #4  
I had the opposite happen to me yesterday..
I took the wifes 2016 suv into the dealer for new tires & the ABS lite was on..{naturally}
Came back afew hrs later expecting to pay 400.00 for ABS rear sensors + 600.00 for tires..
Counter man says the rear sensors were under a "service action" & our manager took care of that as a courtesy..
.. it had to be under 60k miles & u have 75k.. but we "took care of it"..
So I stuck the extra 400.00 in my pocket & out the door I went.. 1 happy camper.

/ Reaction at the cash register #5  
TSC has some pricing issues. I've pointed out quite a few things to clerks in the aisles where prices were missing or very clearly wrong ($50 some dollars for a couple of muffler clamps) or placed in the wrong bins. Picked up a few things from their clearance rack (12" lineman's pliers and a sidecutter/fencing tool) that had no prices. Scanned at $1.99 or something at the register. I didn't argue.

/ Reaction at the cash register #6  
20 years ago I was asked/begged to get a membership at the cash register one time at Sams Club but I more was insistent on just paying just the 10% surcharge for my purchase as was policy at the time. The youngish cashier finally took my money, got the change and slapped it down on the counter and walked away. Good day or not, she should have been slapped.

Last edited by a moderator:
   / Reaction at the cash register #7  
I bought some items at a convenience store, then realized down the road that she owed me $5.00. I went back and told her that if she was over by that amount at cashout it was mine. She sad "I never make mistakes so I will know...
When I went back the next night she gave me my money.

I was working down in Tupper Lake NY I bought gas and went in to buy some other items. At the register the price seemed low and since convenience stores don't put prices on a lot of things I went over every item with the clerk, who wasn't very happy with me. (I don't normally buy things if they have no price anyways.)

The next night; same store, same clerk who stood there talking to a friend while a line piled up. finally her friend said she had to go but "I owe you a dollar." The clerk said "I'll just get it from somebody else."

When she rang me up I was quite certain that I knew where that dollar came from but I was tired and hungry, plus there was a line of people behind me who also had been waiting for her to decide to do her job so I let it slide. 15 years later I still remember though and always wished that I had asked for a receipt. If she needed a dollar for a good reason I would have given it to her; but to think that she stole it has always rankled.

Last edited by a moderator:
   / Reaction at the cash register #8  
I've checked hundreds of thousands of dollars, maybe even millions of dollars worth of groceries in the 50's and 60's. In those days, competition was keen, and grocery stores, even the chains, were a bit more into personal service...but jobs were hard to get, even at a grocery store. There were strict dress codes, personal hygiene requirements, and personal service and courtesy were mandatory and part of your training. You blow off a customer, and the boss finds about it; you were gone. I rarely have an altercation with a clerk, although for the most part, today's crop are pretty uncaring, somewhat rude and dress and look like the wild man from Borneo. If they get too snotty, I just tell them "You really ought to get yourself a job that you like".

/ Reaction at the cash register #9  
The Michigan Scanner Pricing Law requires the seller to offer the customer 10 times the difference between scanned price and charged register price with $1.00 minimum. There's a max too ($5.00 ?). I often see people cruising the aisles looking for old price tag codes knowing the price is probably out of date. TSC is notorious for out of date scan codes.

/ Reaction at the cash register #10  
I've only been into the local TSC twice and both times the register price was more than the shelf price and the check out girl was real rude. I don't go there anymore,I go to our little local hardware store where the people are all nice and the price, though a little higher, is always as marked.