Real world RK ownership Experience

/ Real world RK ownership Experience #1  

Mudlick

Tractor
Ford 1310
Interested in a RK37 hst with RK store 5-minutes away. Looking for some real world ownership/service experience to persuade or dissuade me. I’m also planning to call my local RK’s tractor mechanic today

/ Real world RK ownership Experience #2  
My experience with the tractor (rk55) 200h now, and store, Martinsville, VA has been great.

The store, like a lot of places, has struggled with staffing during covid. But the few needs I have had were met and felt like a priority.

Idk about the rk37, but the local Mahindra dealer is knowledgeable and capable of sourcing parts for my rk55 because of overlap with Mahindra and TYM.

If you have any questions pm me or follow up.

/ Real world RK ownership Experience #3  
I can share my experience with an RK55HC.

I was drawn to the value and what seemed like a good tractor and solid service. I had seen this tractor sitting in the lot for quite some time, almost a year. I asked if I could have the newer model. Nope, they said. Then we spoke to the local mechanic. He was very responsive and helpful. So, we decided to buy it and a rake, box blade, and bush hog.

As first time tractor owners, the review of the tractor was fairly brief. I wished it had been more thorough. I did try to ask about every knob, button, and lever. Some questions the salesman did not know, and the mechanic was busy. I figured I would read the owner's manual. However, the owner's manual leaves much to be desired.

Two months in and only a box blading, raking, and some joy riding under our belt, with just over 8-hours, while going in reverse, smoke started pouring into the cab. Panicked, I shut it off, not knowing if I had done something wrong. The next day, I tried starting it. Again, smoke poured in. It was a weekend. On Monday, I reached the store mechanic. He told me to leave it sitting on the side of my drive and to not start it. He put in a request to the mobile mechanic. The mobile mechanic came in a few days. He seemed very knowledgeable and helpful. He found the hydro controller behind the dash must've had a bad solder or other failure, which started melting the plastic box. It wasn't anything to do with me luckily. No problem, he will just go back and get a new controller, return and I'll be in business. But... that particular controller was not in stock. The controllers for the newer models did not work. He'd have to order it, and it would have to come from Korea. Long story-short, a month later, still no controller. Supply chain issues. After much complaining and waiting for a new one to be assembled in Ohio, I finally got RK to take my dead tractor and deliver to me a new one. This didn't leave a good taste in my mouth. But I had a newer tractor.

The mobile mechanic looked at my bush hog and identified that the bleeder cap had been painted closed and not broken open. He said this could have blown the gears. He broke it open. Check that that cap on the gear box is free to move.

We lost a lift pin on our first bush hog session because I found the assemblers put the lock washers on the opposite side from the nuts. Only one fell off, but it bent some stuff and I had to buy a new pin. I didn't realize I would need to check their assembly. I believe implement assembly happens at the local store. So I suggest looking for some of these anomalies on the parts sitting in the parking lot.

I later found that the gear box had been completely filled with gear oil, instead of just up to the fill bolt. The oil was really foamy and poured out of the gear box. Check that they filled the gear oil properly.

Three months later, I planned on renting a seed drill. I called the local mechanic to ask a question about the rear hydraulic remotes. The local mechanic had quit. The store had no replacement mechanic. I called the mobile mechanic. He too had quit. Supposedly the store now has a new mechanic, but I have yet to meet him. He is always missing when I go to the store.

One month later, my A/C is blowing hot. The prior tractor salesman is now the store manager. He told me to just put a can of refrigerant into it. I know enough to know I could seriously damage the system by doing that. I could not get the mechanic to call me back. They had a visiting mobile mechanic who also did not call me back. I emailed and called RK tractors corporate and complained. They only had the local tractor salesman call me back. I did talk to the new tractor salesman. He said I could not have a visit from the mobile mechanic, because the tractor was not "dead in the field." We decided that I will have them correct that under warranty when I bring it in for the 50-hour service this next year.

Lastly, I found several large frame bolts loose on the tractor under the engine and cab. I do not know if this is normal, or if it was an assembly problem.

I currently do not regret buying it, but it has been an ordeal to say the least. I am not sure if another tractor would have experienced the same issues. I have been disappointed with the mechanics quitting. I still think it is a good value for a new tractor. I am thinking that the melting, smoking controller was a fluke.

Let me know what you think and what you decide.

Last edited:
   / Real world RK ownership Experience #4  
I really should have bought the 37, but they marked down the 55 to the point I couldnt resist. I am up in the great white north in Indiana, but the story here is pretty much the same. The local service guys didnt last too long. Luckily I havent had too many issues, and I am at 48 hours now. Lets face it, the RK are a great value. I looked at a bobcat in the same power, and size category, and it was going to be $12K more..with less standard features.

/ Real world RK ownership Experience #6  
Mudlick, I bought my RK37HC in July 2018 and there has been two issues I've had. The first was that the fuel tank developed cracks around the mounting hardware. I contacted the tractor rep at my local store and he knew right off the bat what I was talking about. Seems there was a defect in some the the tanks on the cab models and I was the second one just at this store. I called him on Sunday and on Wednesday he called to let me know that the new tank had arrived and I could bring the tractor in or just bring the old tank and swap it out. Second issue is that the bucket on the FEL is about 3/4" higher on the right side than the left. NOt a big deal unless you are trying to back drag the bucket across soil to level it out. After I created a thread concerning this it seems that all the owners responding the same issue except for one have tractors assembled in Williston, FL. I think that it's an assembly issue where the FEL mount wasn't correctly aligned prior to being torqued in place. It hasn't been enough of an issue for me that I have done much with it other than *****. I do plan on loosening the 8 mounting bolts and then use a level and jacks to correct it then tighten the bolts back up hoping that will correct it. KInd of disappointing that RK didn't get involved. There was a couple of RK corporate reps that use to be on this forum that seemed to take an interest in issues mentioned here but they disappeared. I heard one was hired by JD and the other nobody knows what happened or won't say. Just poof and gone........ Do I regret my purchase? Not at all. With the $ I saved it allowed me to purchase other attachments. I have a great relationship with the tractor folks at my local store. They have always been able and willing to assist me or answer questions I have. As previously posted, the owners manual sucks big time..........

/ Real world RK ownership Experience #7  
When I hear stories like this I always wonder if buyers wouldn't have been better off saving money buying an older used tractor but better known brand.

But then it often turns out that many are first time buyers or without a whole lot of mechanical expertise. So they don't know how to compare tractors - or even that there is a difference in quality.

I think the lesser known brands can be excellent deals, but mostly for experienced mechanics who can do necessary work themselves.

Last edited:
   / Real world RK ownership Experience #8  
I think the lesser known brands can be excellent deals, but mostly for experienced mechanics who can do necessary work themselves.

Exactly this. Last year I was an inexperienced tractor operator and a new owner - I went with Kubota and glad I did. The dealership and machine has both been excellent.

With a little experience under my belt I'd buy a RK55 next for the right $$. These tractors are a great value-oriented purchase for secondary machines.

I'll be in the market for a cabbed model in the next couple years and RK, Kubota, JD, and LS are the four I'm doing prelim research on at this time.

/ Real world RK ownership Experience #10  
I really wanted an RK37 but the buying experience quickly told me to go another route.

The stores here are poorly managed and morale is low.

I responded to an ad for a technician position last spring and had an interview with the store manager. He was almost 30 minutes late. After finally meeting him, it was obvious why the store is a disaster.

I got a feeling corporate isn't much better. The company is mess.