Really dislike Robin Subaru engines

/ Really dislike Robin Subaru engines #1  

Frank Sorbello

Gold Member
Tractor
Power Trac PT-422
All winter with the new silicon heater my PT-422 would start right up. Lately in 70 to 90 degree weather forget it. I refuse to use starting fluid, tired of setting valves and changing plugs. Decided not to buy a new PT-425 for the sole reason I do not like these Robin Subaru engines. Put a Kohler in it. I'll buy one today. Just sick of all the headaches associated with engine.

/ Really dislike Robin Subaru engines #2  
wow, that is really strange. I have never had a problem with mine not starting if the temp was above 50.

You could always swap out the engine with a Kohler and Ebay the Robin you pulled out to recoup some of the cost. Not a tough switch from all accounts.

/ Really dislike Robin Subaru engines #3  
Sorry you are having so much trouble. I know that takes the enjoyment out of owning a PT.. That is strange though, my little PT-180 had the 18 hp Robin never gave me a problem when starting... Even sitting in our unheated garage at 20 degrees. Hope things work out for you..

/ Really dislike Robin Subaru engines #4  
I'm sorry to hear that it is giving you grief.

Has anyone experimented with 87 vs 89 octane fuel? Brand name (e.g. Shell / Chevron) vs off brand?
I'm just curious if there is something on the fuel side that might help.

I ask only because it made a world of difference on some of my non-PT air cooled gasoline engines. (89 octane from Shell/Chevron). As near as I can make out some of the cooling/ignition characteristics are closer to older 87 octane by using 89 octane. YMMV...

All the best,

Peter

/ Really dislike Robin Subaru engines #5  
All winter with the new silicon heater my PT-422 would start right up. Lately in 70 to 90 degree weather forget it. I refuse to use starting fluid, tired of setting valves and changing plugs. Decided not to buy a new PT-425 for the sole reason I do not like these Robin Subaru engines. Put a Kohler in it. I'll buy one today. Just sick of all the headaches associated with engine.
You shouldn't need starting fluid in warm weather. Are you have starting problems with the engine during a cold start at 70 degrees air temp? Or are you having problems re-starting a warm engine after shutting it off when its 70 degrees air temp?

/ Really dislike Robin Subaru engines
Having problems starting a cold engine in warm weather. So unpredictable, thats what I dislike this engine so much.

/ Really dislike Robin Subaru engines #7  
Not starting cold engine in warm weather aggravates me much more than not starting in cold weather. At least cold weather is a valid reason.

So, air cleaner, fuel/air-mixture/carb adjustments, spark plugs, good spark, and timing. Valves, once set, shouldn't go out of adjustment for 500 hrs.

What are you leaning towards first?

/ Really dislike Robin Subaru engines
Not sure. I was looking on brandnewengines.com at new 25hp Kohlers. Around $2200. The question is do i have the knowledge and the patience to install it myself.

If I go that route, I would probably try to thoroughly clean and repaint while the engine is out. I have talked to tech support at Robin Subaru. They are quite familiar with their engines in Power-Tracs. Apparently they do get a lot of calls about problems with engines starting and heat build up.

/ Really dislike Robin Subaru engines #9  
I certainly would check the things Moss mentioned first. Easy to pop off the air filter and see if that lets it start, not hard to replace spark plugs, then valves etc get a little more difficult. With the poor gas these days, I have bought cheap spare carbs for most of my small engines so that I have something to swap out for testing. If the carb is bad, then I can get a rebuild kit if I want. It is worth spending a few hours.

Ken

/ Really dislike Robin Subaru engines #10  
Not sure. I was looking on brandnewengines.com at new 25hp Kohlers. Around $2200. The question is do i have the knowledge and the patience to install it myself.

If I go that route, I would probably try to thoroughly clean and repaint while the engine is out. I have talked to tech support at Robin Subaru. They are quite familiar with their engines in Power-Tracs. Apparently they do get a lot of calls about problems with engines starting and heat build up.

What does Subaru say?