Rear blade for snow on gravel, pipe or rubber mat?

/ Rear blade for snow on gravel, pipe or rubber mat? #31  
Even with no snow 90% of the hillside, curvy driveway maintenance was with the blade backwards till I got a land plane. North facing and thru the woods what little snow or ice we get sticks around. Sometimes have to grade a little in the heat of the day to expose a little gravel when it refreezes at night to allow enough vehicle traction. Rain at 20* is as common as snow.

Leaf load in the fall is as slick as any snow. Use mowers to mulch and blow to keep road clear for drainage. Often thought of modifying an old bush hog with extra lift wings welded to the blades and baffle(s) for side discharge. Increase suction and airflow. Would it work clearing moderate snow too? Requires a little more hillbilly contemplation.

/ Rear blade for snow on gravel, pipe or rubber mat? #32  
Our drive is irregular in angle and surface. Keeping it in shape is a challenge not much helped by wintertime plowing.

I like the idea of putting a pipe onto the cutting edge of the back blade. It might work on the FEL as well.
Wondering about how to attach it, and also wondering if there is some sort of heavy two two inch rubber hose that would work. Maybe a used fire engine hose?
Has anyone tried that?
rScotty

i would think rubber would not work well, as it would provide too much friction on the surface.

we Colorado people really know what its like to have 20 or 30 inches of extremely heavy snow over a nice light, wet gravel. I have broken more parts plowing heavy snow than doing dirt work. haha.

/ Rear blade for snow on gravel, pipe or rubber mat? #33  
Even with no snow 90% of the hillside, curvy driveway maintenance was with the blade backwards till I got a land plane. North facing and thru the woods what little snow or ice we get sticks around. Sometimes have to grade a little in the heat of the day to expose a little gravel when it refreezes at night to allow enough vehicle traction. Rain at 20* is as common as snow.

Leaf load in the fall is as slick as any snow. Use mowers to mulch and blow to keep road clear for drainage. Often thought of modifying an old bush hog with extra lift wings welded to the blades and baffle(s) for side discharge. Increase suction and airflow. Would it work clearing moderate snow too? Requires a little more hillbilly contemplation.
blower 1a.jpg

blower 3a.jpg

I use an old silage blower

/ Rear blade for snow on gravel, pipe or rubber mat? #34  
An interesting theory, but not workable on most driveways around here. Especially the section of mine with 14% slope that faces north. After a couple of passes with a vehicle it becomes a sheet of ice that provides a very quick trip to the bottom of the hill, and you can't scrape it off until it melts in its own sweet time.
In that case where you need to show gravel plow as normal and clean up in the spring.

/ Rear blade for snow on gravel, pipe or rubber mat? #35  
In that case where you need to show gravel plow as normal and clean up in the spring.
Yep, that's what I do.

Fortunately, some years we get so little snow I don't have to plow, and some years it gets cold before it snows so the ground is frozen and little gravel gets plowed. The rest of the time, clean up in the spring.

I do try to grade the road flat on each side of the crown (that is, get the tire ruts out) each fall so if I need to plow it comes off clean with as little gravel as possible.

/ Rear blade for snow on gravel, pipe or rubber mat? #36  
I don't have a rear blad and use an RTV with a plow. My driveway is 1/2 mile and the pipe worked great. I cust a slit in the pipe down the middle and cut/welded two tabs to bolt up to the bolt holes to hold it on. I used 2" schedule 40 pipe, but after a season had significant wear. I went back in in the off season and hard-surfaced the bottom of the pipe and I haven't had any issues since. Watch the heat on the pipe if you are doing this and stitch it in pieces. It does very well UNLESS the snow is super wet/sticky and picks up stone as it rolls off the plow. Goes over grass with no damage. Don't see why it wouldn't work just as good on a rear blade, but if the blade in reverse accomplishes the same thing try that first since it is no effort. Once you put the pipe on you can't cut/scrape anything clean and it will build up some.

/ Rear blade for snow on gravel, pipe or rubber mat? #39  
Yep.....my hand held blower can blow loose gravel wherever it is pointed....just not as efficient as the silage blower.

/ Rear blade for snow on gravel, pipe or rubber mat? #40  
Before it's frozen;just turn the blade around and pull forward.
This is what I do except I always plow in reverse so I don't pack the snow down with the tractor before plowing it.

If driveway is frozen: drive in reverse with blade facing backward (so indented part of blade is closer to the tractor)

If driveway is not frozen: drive in reverse with blade facing forward.