Rear Blade Rear Blade or Bucket.??

/ Rear Blade or Bucket.?? #1  

JDGreenGrass

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 770
I bought my JD770 mainly for snow-removal. I am considering a 6' blade for the rear.

Is a bucket and blade a better set-up for snow removal or would I be better off with just the bucket and weight out back.??

/ Rear Blade or Bucket.?? #2  
that's what i use kuboda snow equiptment 002 (2).jpg

/ Rear Blade or Bucket.?? #3  
Blade and bucket is what I used last year. The only problem encountered was a neighbors VERY steep driveway.... I had to crawl up then plow down...

It worked great for me, as I maintained 1/2 mile + of dirt road, driveways and 1/2 mile of Rural Road that the County refused to plow... (they got stuck with their trucks TWICE!!... then never came back)

But I spent A LOT of time on the tractor in doing so and the Banks got HUGE! Fact is that the snow finally stopped just in time as we ran out of room to put it all and my FEL couldn't stack it any higher.

I'm going to go through this winter with this combo and fingers crossed that my decision not to get a 3pt Blower, is regretted.

I've used the rear blade for many many things though and it's been a very valuable tool. Ditches, Grading road/driveways, Moving dirt, leveling ground for my next Pole building, helping the neighbor with installation of a new septic system. For me it's been a great investment and I am very happy with it.

/ Rear Blade or Bucket.??
Thanks guys.

Bill....THAT is quite a rig.

/ Rear Blade or Bucket.?? #5  
Rear blade and a bucket will move a lot of snow. In all reality the bucket is only good for piling up the snow. You will move a lot of snow with the blade.

Chris

/ Rear Blade or Bucket.?? #6  
I bought my JD770 mainly for snow-removal. I am considering a 6' blade for the rear.

Is a bucket and blade a better set-up for snow removal or would I be better off with just the bucket and weight out back.??

I like my rear blade dragged backwards (until the ground freezes hard) for any snow less than maybe 8-10 inches. I usually do 3 passes, one down the middle with blade straight and one on each side with blade angled to slide it off to the side I am doing. If snow is over 10 or so inches you can do several passes or use bucket. I have found that a a bucket of wet heavy snow will reduce traction without a rear weight so you may have to clear going downhill..

/ Rear Blade or Bucket.?? #7  
I use a rear blade and FEL also. I have a BX2350, and I could see it being worked pretty hard if we got alot of snow. We rarely get more than a few inches at a time so it works great for me.

/ Rear Blade or Bucket.?? #8  
I remove my bucket and modified a plow from a truck to attach to the lifting arms. I use either a rear blade or snow plower on the back depending on how much snow. I clean about a 700 ft drive way.

/ Rear Blade or Bucket.?? #9  
I agree with Diamond pilot -- rear blade moves a lot of snow -- bucket seems best for piling it. A friend of mine only uses the bucket on his 70+ hp tractor but on my little 28 hp the blade is better. Of course when the snow really flies I put on the blower:eek:

/ Rear Blade or Bucket.?? #10  
I remove my bucket and modified a plow from a truck to attach to the lifting arms. I use either a rear blade or snow blower on the back depending on how much snow. I clean about a 700 ft drive way.
I mean blower.