Rear Tire Swap Nortrac 204C

/ Rear Tire Swap Nortrac 204C #1  

jandersen7

Tractor
2008 Nortrac 204
Thinking about a rear tire swap with tires/rims from a 254 or 284. They are wider, and I need some better traction. Would this be a simple bolt on? Size is the same at 24, but wider rim and wider tire. If I could find a salvage to swap/buy that is. Also, can't find the story on what happened to Jinma/Nortrac etc. After covid, they are gone? Was this an EPA thing, no one wants to import anymore? They are still available from China, but seems the old simple Jinmas are no where to be found.

/ Rear Tire Swap Nortrac 204C #2  
What kind of tires do you have now? Ag, Turf, Industrial?

What is the condition of your current tires, new or worn out?

Are your tires spinning/slipping in the dirt?

What task are you doing that you don't have enough traction for?

IF you are spinning on dry dirt and you swap for the same type and condition but a wider tire it is unlikely you will get better traction. Traction is a function of the friction between the dirt and the tire and the pressure holding the tire to the dirt, which is weight on the tire.

Usually the best way to increase traction is to increase weight. Either external weights or ballast inside the tires.

Is your 204C 4WD? If so you have to be careful about changing tires as the front and rear diameter ratio must be maintained to avoid undue stress on the drive train.

As far as Jinma availability goes, it just might be one of those supply chain things. I haven't talked to any of the dealers but they are still listing them as "out of stock" which would seem to indicate they hope to get them on the lot again. Empty lots is not just a Jinma issue.

/ Rear Tire Swap Nortrac 204C
Thanks for the reply, I have ag tires, and they slip/spin on dirt and packed gravel (like a driveway). I would guess the tread is in mid-wear range, not new, not worn out. I do have 4 wheel drive, and did not want to change diameter, only width. I figured more ground contact area would equal more traction. I do have rear wheel weights, and a front loader. I generally also have some implement on back for extra weight, backblade etc. I do not have filled tires, that might be my next step. For loader work and pulling logs/trees, I always have plenty of power with the 2 low ranges etc., but seem to run out of traction at times. I have no open fields, live on a wooded parcel and use my tractor a lot for tree and stump pulling and hauling. (obviously smaller trees, mostly smaller pine) Fair amount of loader work with gravel and dirt hauling. Hope to see Jinma etc. being imported again soon! Good little tractors, great value for what they cost.

/ Rear Tire Swap Nortrac 204C #4  
Ag tires are designed to get the most traction when there is a specific amount of "slip" between the dirt and the tire. In other words the tire has to be traveling slightly faster than the tractor. Usually this is in the 5 to 8 percent range and you can actually see it in the dirt profile when you are pulling a load and working the tractor at the right ground speed. The ground needs to kind of "bunch up" into the lugs of the tire for maximum traction.

lots of factors play into the tire/ground contact/ traction puzzle. Engineers are always trying to change it but when it actually gets to us little guys in the field it basically comes down to if it spins add more weight. Or chains. ;)

For what it is worth, I think all of the 200 series tractors used the same rim but I could be completely wrong on that. You might be able to look up various rims for different tractors using an online parts catalog like they have at Affordable or Circle G.

Do you know what the center hole and bolt circle size is of your current rims?

If you do go with different rims/tires, just be sure to measure the outer circumference of your existing tires to compare to what you are getting to keep your tire ratio in balance.

/ Rear Tire Swap Nortrac 204C
Investigating at Circle G, 204 has 8.3 by 24 tires, 254,284 has 9.5x24. Different rims are listed for each model, 204 says 5 inch center hole, 254 says 4 3/4 center hole. Interesting, the 354 is listed as 11.2x24 with a 5 inch center hole. All the same diameter, just wider. Gonna have to find some salvage tractors in the area and see what I can find out.

/ Rear Tire Swap Nortrac 204C #6  
Northern Tool sold/sells Nortrac.