Rear weight on 790 w/FEL with manure spreader

Anonymous Poster

Hello,
I usually keep an implement (rotary mower or box blade) on my JD790 to balance the 70 FEL. I'm purchasing a Millcreek Manure spreader (model 25) and will be pulling it with the tractor's draw bar (without 3pt implements). Should I be looking for some rear wheel weights (or filling tires)? Any input welcome. Thanks

RoyJackson

Epic Contributor
Tractor
John Deere 4052R Cab,, Deere 855D UTV, Z920A Zero Turn Mower and assorted implements
I'd sure consider loading those rear tires.
I also use a back blade or (less often) the mower for counterweight. But, they do stick out a bit far.
But the nice thing about liquid in the tires is that the weight is as low as you're gonna get it. If you do run across slopes, that adds enough inertia to really stabilize the tractor.

Chief

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 4410
Yes indeed you do need some weights or tire fill with the loader if no other counter weights. You may not notice any difference at first but I can assure you from first hand experience that you definitely will notice a big difference on a steep or wet/slippery slope. The rear tires may loose traction and it is not a fun ride to the bottom if you don't think of dropping the loader bucket to stop the slide. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif To be on the safe side I would suggest at least filling the tires. That should achieve the desired result you are looking for without spending an arm and a leg for wheel weights. There are some after market wheel weight kits that use barbell weights that many use on this board. I am sure someone wil jump in here and give you some feed back. I have never personally used them but have heard good reviews. The web site address is:

http://www.ezweights.com/

but their website appears to be down at the current time.

Good luck and be careful until you get some counter weight on the back! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif