Rebuilding Honda GX 390

/ Rebuilding Honda GX 390 #1  

Red Horse

Veteran Member
Tractor
Deere 655ZTrak, Deere 4720 Cab, 400 X LT 155
Well I one of my neighbors left a Fradan Vortex push blower out on the town road as a freebie. It is powered by a 13HP Honda GX 390. And if you don't mind pushing a heavy blower these things will move a lot of leaves. I have borrowed one from a friend of mine.

Bottom line no oil in the crankcase and it is frozen. Anyone ever rebuild one of these? Or had it done? Cost?

A new one is 700 bucks in Northern's new 2021 spring catalog.

/ Rebuilding Honda GX 390 #2  
I'd pull it apart and see what is wrong. I was given a generator that had been submerged in a flood fo a couple of days with a GX390 on it. Flood receded and it froze and cracked the block. Complete new block was ~$85, ring set $40. With gaskets and all I only spant ~$160 in parts.
If it's froze up, it is probably the piston stuck in the bore, if they run out of oil they will shut down since they have a float in the crankcase that detects low oil.

/ Rebuilding Honda GX 390 #3  
I'd pull it apart and see what is wrong. I was given a generator that had been submerged in a flood fo a couple of days with a GX390 on it. Flood receded and it froze and cracked the block. Complete new block was ~$85, ring set $40. With gaskets and all I only spant ~$160 in parts.
If it's froze up, it is probably the piston stuck in the bore, if they run out of oil they will shut down since they have a float in the crankcase that detects low oil.

It’s very likely that the rod is seized to the crank if it was run low or out of oil. It that’s the case, the aluminum from the rod can be polished off the crank, and you only need a new rod. It’s very rare for the piston to seize to the cylinder.

/ Rebuilding Honda GX 390 #4  
As an alternative you could just buy replacement Honda clone engine from Harbor Freight for $399.99 regular price.
Also lots of GX390 parts for sale on the eBay.

/ Rebuilding Honda GX 390
Thx guys for the comments...stay tuned. As for Arto's comment I have heard that those chineseknock offs are pretty good. Why not, they copy all the good designs:(. But I have never been in a China Freight Store. Then again, what difference does it make right? Sad state of affairs.

/ Rebuilding Honda GX 390 #6  
There is eBay vendor offering complete GX390 rebuild kits for $124.95 including engine block, crank, piston, std. shipping etc.

/ Rebuilding Honda GX 390
There is eBay vendor offering complete GX390 rebuild kits for $124.95 including engine block, crank, piston, std. shipping etc.
thx Arto-good info-first time I did a google search this did not come up