Recipe for home made deer repellent?

/ Recipe for home made deer repellent? #1  

2LaneCruzer

Super Star Member
Tractor
John Deere LX172
Any one have a good one? There are a lot on the internet, but thought I would check here first to see if anyone had any first hand experience. The commercial stuff is like $13.00 a pint, and it's getting expensive.

/ Recipe for home made deer repellent? #2  
Drink beer and visit the yard!

/ Recipe for home made deer repellent? #3  
Caliber 308

Primer Make: Fed
Part# GM210M

Powder Make: IMR
Model: 4064
Grains: 42

Bullet Make: Hornady
Part# 30452
Weight: 165

Case: Norma

OAL: 2.8

Sorry, couldn't help myself. :laughing: I have never used any. To date the deer only eat maple saplings. The even stay away from our flower beds and garden. They walk right through the yard but don't touch a thing. knock on wood.

/ Recipe for home made deer repellent? #4  
My girl friend mixes one regular chicken egg with two cups of water and sprays the mix on her flowers. It has been working perfectly for ten years now. The downside is re-application is required after a heavy rain.

/ Recipe for home made deer repellent? #5  
My wife uses an egg, cayenne pepper, dishwashing liquid (sticker), milk, and a gallon of water. Re-apply after rain.

It's my observation that any repellent seems to work for a while but after time the little stinkers hold their noses and chow down. The deer menu also seems seasonal. This time of year there are lots of items on the menu so they are selective about what they eat and when.

On my 8000 Christmas trees I only spray Fraser fir (their favorite) after Christmas with Spotrete f ($$$$) mixed with a latex based sticker. I've only seen it in 2 1/2 gallon concentrate bottles so a homeowner use would not be cost effective unless you find the same ingredient in smaller sizes. You have to be careful with it as it can leave a white residue if applied too freely but in my case it's gone after a few months. I've learned to not plant any more Fraser as it's mostly deer food. Same with my wife and Hostas.
My hunters take an obscene number of deer off the property but it doesn't help much.

/ Recipe for home made deer repellent?
Caliber 308

Primer Make: Fed
Part# GM210M

Powder Make: IMR
Model: 4064
Grains: 42

Bullet Make: Hornady
Part# 30452
Weight: 165

Case: Norma

OAL: 2.8

Sorry, couldn't help myself. :laughing: I have never used any. To date the deer only eat maple saplings. The even stay away from our flower beds and garden. They walk right through the yard but don't touch a thing. knock on wood.

The city has annexed my acreage, so shooting is out. Besides, I couldn't shoot Bambi. My neighbor puts out corn for the turkeys, and in turn, we also get deer, Canadian Geese, Mallard Ducks, and numerous other varmints. I have been here over 40 years, and it's only been the last three years that the deer have been a problem. They ate my little plot of Purple Hull Peas to the ground year before last.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll mix something up tonight.

/ Recipe for home made deer repellent? #7  
Liquid Fence has worked well for me for 5 years. My deer think they're lawn ornaments and my flower beds are a deer garden, but they're only interested in a few of my plants and mainly when they are budding. So I spray just those plants lightly after each rain during those times. I also use it on any new plants or trees. And a little just around the bottom branches of the apple trees if I don't want them to eat those. One bottle usually lasts me a year or more. If my deer were starving it might be a different story. In my last place, the deer were far hungrier and one winter they consumed an entire Leyland cypress.

/ Recipe for home made deer repellent? #8  
I have some plants like Hosta that the deer like to eat. For those I take a couple bars of Irish Spring soap and shred them up with a cheese grater. I sprinkle the gratings in and on the plant and the deer won't go near them because of the smell. Usually good for about a month depending on how much rain we get.

/ Recipe for home made deer repellent? #10  
The biggest issue with any chemical type repellant is constantly replacing it after it rains...

FWIW...
One option is electronic motion detectors wired to a simple audio device that plays coyote or dogs barking noises etc...
I have used a driveway alert motion sensor with a cheapo MP3 player and a $10 radio shack battery powered amplifier...it even kept the squirrels at bay until they got used to it...