Recommend engine oil for JD 4100 HST

/ Recommend engine oil for JD 4100 HST #1  

coloradotrout

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 4100 HST CUT w/Yanmar 3TNE74 | JD 300 Lawn
Yanmar 3TNE74 engine.

I put in a used engine 200h ago. Used Walmart supertech 15w40. Changed it tonight with Delo XLE with isosyn.

Thought I wanted a "better" oil, but now I'm thinking on an old engine it might be best just to keep it simple. What do you think?

/ Recommend engine oil for JD 4100 HST #2  
How do you know wal mart oil is not a better oil?

/ Recommend engine oil for JD 4100 HST #3  
I have been using the walmart oil in my cars for decades. No issues. One had 251,000 miles on it when i sold it still running strong, body rusted.

/ Recommend engine oil for JD 4100 HST
I agree. I switched all my autos to wm supertech full syn about 2y ago. Bobtheoilguy forums suggested it was quality and I was tired of dealing with different brands for different cars. So 5w30 for 96 odyssey, 00 v10 excursion, soon to be 04 highlander and 06 v10 f250. The excursion did start a leak at the oil cooler gasket but no idea if it was oil induced or 230k miles.

That's what led me to using wm supertech a year ago, but i second guessed myself. Will the delo cause any issues?

Last edited:
   / Recommend engine oil for JD 4100 HST #5  
I run 5w40 full synthetic Duron year round in all my diesels. Some guys use 0w40 but it's a bit thin for my liking in the summer. 15w40 can be a problem in the winter (if you're in a cold climate at least) unless you have a good pan heater.

Personally I think the minimal extra cost for synthetic is worth it. I even run it in my 1960s machines.

Only real exceptions would be two stroke Detroit Diesels or flathead gas engines that need straight SAE30 or SAE40

/ Recommend engine oil for JD 4100 HST #6  
We use modern oil in old engines. This oil is several times better than when they made the tractor. We pulled some samples after long cycles. Who would have thunk back in the day could run 7-800 even thousand hours and oil still good but,,, there is make up oil so it is a factor.

/ Recommend engine oil for JD 4100 HST #7  
I had synthetic in our 1983 240D Benz. Went to synthetic in an old Gravely, and it stopped using oil.

With synthetic, you can certainly go by hours and not change every year. Going multiple years on everything now. Been multiple years on the Tacoma and Isuzu diesel generator for quite some time.

Using 0w20 in the 3 gasoline engines and 0w30 in the diesels now. Just because it's thin in the summer doesn't mean it is bad. Means it'll be picked up by the oil pump instantaneously and protect everything from very start. Once had a VW Cabrio with hydraulic valves. They would drain down and then "thump" until refilled on startup, even in summer. Only oil (at that time; should have used 0w20) that stopping the thumping was 0w30, e.g. would refill the hydraulics almost instantaneously.

/ Recommend engine oil for JD 4100 HST #8  
Supertech Walmart brand oils are made by Warren Petroeum. Their oils and other lubricants are very good and are usually found at bargain prices. I would not hesitate to use their oil in my tractor, car, motorcycle, lawn tractor and 4 stroke weedeater.

/ Recommend engine oil for JD 4100 HST
See any issues on my yanmar with using supertech, now, 400xle Delo (and maybe back and forth 2x since I now have 2Q of each left)?

/ Recommend engine oil for JD 4100 HST #10  
No issues. I would not mix different brand oils. The additive packages are likely not the same. I would find a brand you trust and stick with it. Supertech is very good oil and has a large following.