Recommend (or UN-recommend) a specific 3pt wood chipper

/ Recommend (or UN-recommend) a specific 3pt wood chipper #31  
TSO,

Thanks for reminding me of the great Woodward Landing experience I had 2 years ago when I bought my (orange) BX42 from Karin. All is working well with the machine. I remember the first time I took the blades off to sharpen, the paint made it hard to get the bolts loose. But now it is much easier. For quick cleanup I shoot the chips into a small dump cart. When you put the tractor away everything is neat in the area you were working, no pile of wood chips to pick up. One thing you will find is that too many leaves dry or green will clog the chute. I have been hit in the head with a branch and a chunk of wood has been shot back out of the chute at me. but it is not as dangerous as it sounds as I wear my chainsaw earmuff/visor/hardhat when chipping. You have really chosen a great machine. Happy chipping.

/ Recommend (or UN-recommend) a specific 3pt wood chipper #32  
TSO,

Thanks for reminding me of the great Woodward Landing experience I had 2 years ago when I bought my (orange) BX42 from Karin. All is working well with the machine. I remember the first time I took the blades off to sharpen, the paint made it hard to get the bolts loose. But now it is much easier. For quick cleanup I shoot the chips into a small dump cart. When you put the tractor away everything is neat in the area you were working, no pile of wood chips to pick up. One thing you will find is that too many leaves dry or green will clog the chute. I have been hit in the head with a branch and a chunk of wood has been shot back out of the chute at me. but it is not as dangerous as it sounds as I wear my chainsaw earmuff/visor/hardhat when chipping. You have really chosen a great machine. Happy chipping.

How do you sharpen your Blades?

/ Recommend (or UN-recommend) a specific 3pt wood chipper #33  
P6070491.JPG
Oh Boy. sharpening the blades. The first time I got the blades off I was looking at a variety of files, angle grinder and bench grinder. But I found a ski edger (see picture). For sharp 90 degree edges. First I run it along the beveled edge of the chipper blade and I get and keep a nice flat and straight surface. Then I do the flat back edge, just for small burrs. I clamp it in a vise of course and since I am just following the machined angle and keeping that nice and straight I don't worry about finding the right angle to grind at. I sharpen after about 3 or 4 hours of use. If that beveled edge gets rounded over by not doing regular sharpening I can see this method might not work, but so far so good. As you can see the edger plastic runs along the cutting edge so it doesn't grind that away it just files on the beveled surface. Won't work on mower blades. I wouldn't go out and buy a ski edger for this but if you have one laying around give it a try as I am thinking of making a jig to hold the cutter and then I can file level.

/ Recommend (or UN-recommend) a specific 3pt wood chipper #34  
I sharpen my blades after about 20-30 hours. I just use my half speed grinder and set the grinder rest to the correct angle. Then I I'll freehand it on the rest. Keep some water nearby so that you don't lose the temper in the blades.

I generally use an impact wrench to loosen the bolts, but I have a completely different chipper.

/ Recommend (or UN-recommend) a specific 3pt wood chipper #35  
P6070493.JPG

Here is my sharpening setup. The ski edger works with a pull towards you action. I think the finished edge is like factory sharp and straight. I like how sharp I get the blade and it does not take long to hand sharpen. good luck.

/ Recommend (or UN-recommend) a specific 3pt wood chipper #36  
Anyone have thoughts on the Titan Attachments WC001? ... Primarily going to use for 1.5 inch and smaller ... Tractor is Kubota B2100 20hp ... So can't go very big anyway.

/ Recommend (or UN-recommend) a specific 3pt wood chipper #37  
I just bought one of those and they are getting it back, lots of problems with the self feed mechanism. They also sell a BX42, same as Wallenstien, $200 cheaper to boot.