Recommended oil filter for 18hp Kohler Courage Engine (just purchased new).

/ Recommended oil filter for 18hp Kohler Courage Engine (just purchased new). #1  

jrepp44

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B2650HSTC
I see several brands of oil filters available for this engine, I am not sure which is the best, or even if these are the correct ones?
FRAM PH8172, WIX 51348, PUROLATOR L10241, Kohler KH-12-050-01-S, Kohler KH-12-050-01-S1, Kohler 1205001S1C, Kohler 52-050-02-S. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

/ Recommended oil filter for 18hp Kohler Courage Engine (just purchased new). #2  
I don't know what the manufacturer specs are on the Wix, Fram, or Purolator filter. All the Kohler filters are correct, the only different in the first three you listed is the packaging, and the last one is the longer version of the first three.

/ Recommended oil filter for 18hp Kohler Courage Engine (just purchased new). #3  
According to Lowes, the Kohler 1205001S1C fits all Courage and Command engines from 18 to 25 hp, and is recommended in the 2005 owners manual, for my old Command engine. That being said.....I've used the L10241 most of time, and for the past couple of years, the NAPA 31348, which is pretty much the same as the Wix you mentioned.....so....after 11 years of work, my engine is still going strong. You don't need to spend $10 or more for a Kohler branded filter.

Get the number off your filter, or from your owners manual...and cross it to a national brand of your choice.

As a side note, I have two BMW motorcycles that use this same filter, so the last time I bought 3, NAPA 31348 filters, for a little over $10 total....Now both bikes and the mower are all set for this season.

/ Recommended oil filter for 18hp Kohler Courage Engine (just purchased new). #4  
I use the Fram PH3614 filters in my Kohler 25HP Command engine since that's the same filter my old 94 Saturn uses and is the same dimensions.

Bob B.

/ Recommended oil filter for 18hp Kohler Courage Engine (just purchased new). #5  
I use the Fram PH3614 filters in my Kohler 25HP Command engine since that's the same filter my old 94 Saturn uses and is the same dimensions.

Bob B.
It also fits my Ford Ranger.

/ Recommended oil filter for 18hp Kohler Courage Engine (just purchased new). #6  
I just got back from a trip to my local NAPA Store......Picked up a few NAPA Silver 31348 filters, that are on sale now for $2.50 each......for $8.10 including the tax, I came home with 3 filters made by Wix. Can't beat that with a stick.

It's a good time to stock up.

/ Recommended oil filter for 18hp Kohler Courage Engine (just purchased new). #7  
My Kohler fikter was aweful to get off

/ Recommended oil filter for 18hp Kohler Courage Engine (just purchased new). #8  
I bet the Silver and the Kohler are the same or same class and the Wix or Gold is a premium.

/ Recommended oil filter for 18hp Kohler Courage Engine (just purchased new). #9  
Just looked these up for my LT 1045 and found I have 3 Super Tech ST3614 (Ford Edge,Chevy Metro) filters here at the house. Should I use 30W or 10W-30 ?

/ Recommended oil filter for 18hp Kohler Courage Engine (just purchased new). #10  
Straight 30W oil is generally recommended for small air-cooled engines. I have used multigrade like 10W-30 with no problem. My brother purchased a Enduro XT2 and told me he was using synthetic oil in it. That sounded like a good idea since I had some Mobil 1 10W-30 synthetic oil on hand. I changed the oil in my 2015 XT3 GSX 25HP Kohler with 200+ hours and used the Mobil 1. I parked it in the garage after mowing my 1 acre a few weeks later and found oil running across my garage floor. It appeared that the front engine seal was leaking. I changed oil and filter using straight 30W oil and so far it hasn't leaked again.

Bob B.