Recommended wood stove brands

/ Recommended wood stove brands #1  

caver

Veteran Member
Tractor
Fisher Price, toddlers first tractor.
It will be for a 22x30 timber frame cabin either in the living room or basement. I will have a propane furnace for days i may not be in the mood for loading firewood. I'm not interested in exterior boiler units.

Brands mentioned in this thread:
Jotul
Blaze King
Hearthstone Soapstone
Pacific Energy (insert)
Napolean
Lopi
Harmon
Morso
Country 210
Drolet
Quadfire
Hearthstone Clydesdale(insert)
Hearthstone Heritage
Avalon Mission
Dutchwest (insert)

Last edited:
   / Recommended wood stove brands #2  
I have a blaze king in my house as I only burn really seasoned wood due to the catalytic converter. I use a Jotul at my cabin with reburn tubes as it better tolerates less than ideal wood, but it's still seasoned. Both brands are awesome, but EPA stoves need dry wood.

/ Recommended wood stove brands #3  
I think I would determine where it is going prior to deciding on a stove, placement will determine a lot of factors on the type, size & look of a stove that will work for you needs.

In our case we wanted the stove to be in the mail living area, we didn't want it to bake us out of the living area, wanted good clean burns & we wanted it to compliment our living space. We found all of that with our Hearthstone Soapstone stove. However if we were to put a stove in the basement I wouldn't even think of putting a soapstone stove down there...

Think I would definitely pick the location & then any other important criteria you may have for the stove in that location... Again love our stove, but for our situation.

Attachments

• Hearthstone - burning.jpg
    Hearthstone - burning.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 65

/ Recommended wood stove brands #4  
Have a Pacific Energy insert for 26 years. Located in living room, bedrooms nice and cool. Main heat for all that time. I'm impressed with the clean burn and clean window. Had many naps on the floor in front of the fire.

/ Recommended wood stove brands
I could do a fireplace AND woodstove (same floor) but seems redundant. I enjoy a fire in the winter. caveman TV

/ Recommended wood stove brands #6  
We love our napoleon 1450. Was the most affordable, but very reputable, no frills woodstove I could find back in 2015 that would heat our 1600 sq ft home easily. Was only $1300 back then, no issues whatsoever in 7 years since. Have it pretty centrally located in our open-plan house, and it doesn't cook us out of the main room. A couple ceiling fans are always on low during the winter.

Jotul was another brand I strongly considered.

/ Recommended wood stove brands #7  
A fireplace is a waste of heat and wood. There's no control of the burn. Plus, the heat loss when the fire is low or out is considerable. Thus, my insert and why the glass front staying clean during the burn is important. It is truly, better than TV. More relaxing and quiet... :)

/ Recommended wood stove brands #8  
We have been very happy with our Lopi. I don’t know if they still make them, but they are very efficient and also easy to clean. We also have been happy with our Quadrafire pellet stove in the basement and our Quadrafire gas stove. Whatever you buy, air circulation is important. Get a blower on the stove and some way to circulate site around the house. We use the cool fan on the gas furnace. Air circulation equalizes temperatures around the house.

/ Recommended wood stove brands #9  
Have a Pacific Energy insert for 26 years. Located in living room, bedrooms nice and cool. Main heat for all that time. I'm impressed with the clean burn and clean window. Had many naps on the floor in front of the fire.
I have a Harmon for my primary source of heat, also in the living room. Keeps the house nice and warm, bedrooms are upstairs, cooler for good sleeping, but still a lot warmer than the FHA furnace keeps them. Only room that's a bit on the cold side is the bathroom which is the diagonally opposite corner of the house from the stove and a couple rooms away.
The window in mine stays reasonably clean if I burn hot, but it's not clear anymore.
I also have been known to take a nap on the floor in front of the stove.

A couple things I don't like about it...(1) it has a tendency to wheeze/backpuff occasionally and (2) it can be a bit of a PITA to get the ash tray out of it if the stove is hot...the tray warps just enough that it catches and there's no easy way to grab it.

/ Recommended wood stove brands #10  
If you install a wood stove seriously, consider using insulated pipe for it. advantage over double/triple wall pipe is : it heats faster and stays hot. so no build up of creosote.