Oil & Fuel Refilling the trans/hydro fluid 4035

/ Refilling the trans/hydro fluid 4035 #1  

DutchUncle

Tractor
Mahindra 4035
Hi All, long time looker first time poster. I have a Mahindra 4035 shuttle shift. I need to replace the 10 gallons of fluid it holds through what appears to be a 1/2" fill hole located right above the PTO output shaft. Does anyone have any tips or tricks for adding that much fluid through such a tiny opening? Thanks

/ Refilling the trans/hydro fluid 4035 #2  
First time I tried this I put the 5 gallon bucket of new fluid up on a shop stool, then used a 1/4" I.D. clear tube to siphon the fluid out of the bucket down into the fill hole on my 5035. My ' hole ' was not big enough to put a decent sized funnel into it, nor did I want to stand there and hold the bucket for a long time. I have now bought a hand pump that fits down over the top of the 5 gallon bucket, and I will attempt this time to slowly fill the sump that way. The factory probably uses the standard 180 degree bent fill pipe that they just hang into the opening and have a metered amount of fluid fill into the sump. You can get the bucket pumps on Amazon or Ebay... Should last for a long time if you just use it for filling your sump. You could try one of those drill pumps, or something like that, too.... Probably a good thing to make sure you put everything together right underneath, like sump screen seals. Other than that, try to get more fluid into the hole than you get on the floor...
GOOD LUCK....!!!! And WELCOME to the forum.. :)

/ Refilling the trans/hydro fluid 4035 #3  
Hi All, long time looker first time poster. I have a Mahindra 4035 shuttle shift. I need to replace the 10 gallons of fluid it holds through what appears to be a 1/2" fill hole located right above the PTO output shaft. Does anyone have any tips or tricks for adding that much fluid through such a tiny opening? Thanks
I use a bucket hand pump for my 80w90 front axle oil. It my work for your application. :thumbsup:

/ Refilling the trans/hydro fluid 4035
Thanks guys, I took a look at those hand pumps, and they are exactly what I was looking for; pouring 10 gallons of fluid through a tiny funnel with no means of breaking the air lock didn't sound like a nice way to spend an afternoon. I love my tractor, but I would really like to ask the engineer who designed that what he was thinking at the time. My lawnmower has a bigger hydro fluid fill port.
Regards

/ Refilling the trans/hydro fluid 4035 #5  
I am most of the way thru my 5035. Going to open up the hole in the hyd fluid pail by slicing the plastic threaded opening. The pump is just a little too big to fit into the standard size 5 gal pail opening, then just slide the pump down into the pail. That way I don't have to take the top all the way off at this point. As light as the hyd fluid is there should be no problem... I just put the big foot long hyd filter on, going to pull the sump screen tomorrow morning and then fill her up. I am done for the day now, except clean up... Us retired folks have to keep stuff in perspective... :)

Attachments

• SAM_0415 (Large).JPG
    SAM_0415 (Large).JPG
    288.1 KB · Views: 260
  • SAM_0417 (Large).JPG
    SAM_0417 (Large).JPG
    300.2 KB · Views: 367
If this is your first change Jerry, you'll be surprised by the amount of metal and crud in the screen, I know I was. Took some time with a tooth brush and diesel to get it nice and clean. Kind of a pain with the hose and clamps (changed my clamps by the way) glad it only has to be done every 1000 after the initial.

/ Refilling the trans/hydro fluid 4035 #7  
If this is your first change Jerry, you'll be surprised by the amount of metal and crud in the screen, I know I was. Took some time with a tooth brush and diesel to get it nice and clean. Kind of a pain with the hose and clamps (changed my clamps by the way) glad it only has to be done every 1000 after the initial.

I did everything at 50... not 'cuz they wanted me to, but 'cuz I WANTED TO..!!! I had the crud in the bottom and my sump screen had a good coat of grey metal filings. Should be a lot better this time. I had to order a bigger oil filter wrench today [ CTA 2552 Pro swivel ], forgot to last time. The big foot long hyd filter is about 4 1/4" dia so I ordered a wrench for it. It is usually too tight to budge with a strap wrench that just slips, so both times I had to drive a big screwdriver thru it to get it to start turning... My hyd fluid looked real good, I'll be taking the sump out tomorrow. I could do the whole job in a couple hours, but have been doing other stuff while I let things drain. Have to grease tomorrow, too.

/ Refilling the trans/hydro fluid 4035 #8  
Just pulled the sump screen. Looks as clean as the day I put it in 350 hours ago. Nothing like the 50 hour pull. And I work the krap out of my tractor.... So, I am a happy camper. :)

I've heard of guys actually taking that screen off after the first change, it's nice to know yours was still nice and clean. Not sure I'm comfortable with removal yet. Stated reason they remove it, is lower restriction.

/ Refilling the trans/hydro fluid 4035 #10  
I've heard of guys actually taking that screen off after the first change, it's nice to know yours was still nice and clean. Not sure I'm comfortable with removal yet. Stated reason they remove it, is lower restriction.

I know a guy in the shop that used to buy new Pontiacs and run them for years without changing the oil or filter, just adding oil. Just because Joey jumped off the bridge doesn't mean you should do it, too.... Smoking is actually good for you, keeps you thin.... Put magnets on your fuel line to align the gas molecules and you will get better mileage.. I will pay you next Tuesday for a hamburger today... [ etc.. ] :)