Relieving Hydraulic pressure on Third function implements prior to disconnecting the lines.

/ Relieving Hydraulic pressure on Third function implements prior to disconnecting the lines. #1  

Porchfan

Silver Member
Tractor
2013 Kubota B2650 HSD, 2020 BX2380, JD LX-277 lawn tractor 2000
So for a good while I never really liked connecting up or disconnecting the third function lines to my grapple due to the hydraulic pressure contained in the lines of the implement. For me I use a grapple on my tractor quite a bit. After experimenting around I found the best thing that worked for me it to do the following:
1-put the grapple on the ground in the manner in which you want them to stay
2-turn off the tractor
3- then turn the key on so the ignition and other electrical accessories including the valve that controls the fluid to the third lines BUT do not start the tractor.
4- then toggle the two buttons that control the third function lines
5- then turn off the ignition and disconnect the lines.
6) then connect up the lines together if you can.
7) lastly disconnect the implement from your loader or 3pt trying to make sure the implement cylinders don’t retract or expand.

What I have found is When you toggled the buttons while the pump is off but voltage is on the valve, the pressure in the lines will feed back up to the main system from your implement lines reducing any residual pressure that was in them . This makes it really easy to disconnect the lines- and to reconnect them later. I usually hear a little bump of psi relief when I do this. I then connected the lines of the implement together to keep dirt out. ( my grapple has male and female couplers.

Over the past month I have used this method with success each time. Prior to doing it this way, I’d say more than 50% of the time I would struggle to get them off and especially back on.
If you all have any comments, I’d like to hear them.
- Cheers

/ Relieving Hydraulic pressure on Third function implements prior to disconnecting the lines. #2  
So for a good while I never really liked connecting up or disconnecting the third function lines to my grapple due to the hydraulic pressure contained in the lines of the implement. For me I use a grapple on my tractor quite a bit. After experimenting around I found the best thing that worked for me it to do the following:
2-turn off the tractor
3- then turn the key on so the ignition and other electrical accessories including the valve that controls the fluid to the third lines BUT do not start the tractor.
7) lastly disconnect the implement from your loader or 3pt trying to make sure the implement cylinders don’t retract or expand.

What I have found is When you toggled the buttons while the pump it off but voltage is on the valve, the pressure in the lines will feed back up to the main system from your implement lines reducing any residual pressure that was in them . This makes it really easy to disconnect the lines- and to reconnect them later. I usually hear a little bump of psi relief when I do this. I then connected the lines of the implement together to keep dirt out. ( my grapple has make and female couplers.

Over the past month I have used this method with success each time. Prior to doing it this way, I’d say more than 50% of the time I would struggle to get them off and especially back on.
- Cheers
I've been fighting this problem with the flat faces couplers on my 4 in 1. My problem is when I try to hook the 4 in 1 up.

I've had a bunch of folks tell me it's pressure built up in the 4 in 1 lines, not the tractor.

I thought i'd figured it out too using your method but in my case, isn't fool proof.

In my case, if i want to use the 4 in 1 that day and it's not attached yet, i attach it first thing in the morning, before walking the dogs.

I guess there is less pressure in the 4 in 1 due to lower temps?

There are solutions out there for sale, some kinda isolation valves.

One day, i'm afraid i'm gonna need the 4 in 1 for an emergency and i won't be able to hook it up

/ Relieving Hydraulic pressure on Third function implements prior to disconnecting the lines. #3  
If anyone watches Ask Tractor Mike on youtube he had a great suggestion (although it costs a bit). There is no way to relieve the pressure on a flat face coupler. However the other fairly standard couplers (with the relief Bearing) allow you to release it. So you just build a short adapter set (flat on one end, relief bearing on the other) and plug those up to your grapple after you disconnect it. This will allow you to relieve the pressure before next use (when it is often built up in my experience). It cost me about $50 but I no longer have to wrench the couplers so it was worth it.

/ Relieving Hydraulic pressure on Third function implements prior to disconnecting the lines. #4  
I turn the tractor off - toggle the switch forward/back a couple times. Wrap a shop rag around the coupler and then disconnect. I think mine may be easier because they ARE NOT flat faced couplers.

/ Relieving Hydraulic pressure on Third function implements prior to disconnecting the lines. #5  
I turn the tractor off - toggle the switch forward/back a couple times. Wrap a shop rag around the coupler and then disconnect. I think mine may be easier because they ARE NOT flat faced couplers.
Yes exactly Oosik. I turn mine into yours when I take it off. Everything on my machine is flat.
Good call out on the shop rag though for safety....when you relieve the pressure I wear a glove and put a rag over the detent ball before tapping it on something jus to be safe.

/ Relieving Hydraulic pressure on Third function implements prior to disconnecting the lines. #6  
2-turn off the tractor

What I have found is When you toggled the buttons while the pump is off but voltage is on the valve, the pressure in the lines will feed back up to the main system from your implement lines reducing any residual pressure that was in them . This makes it really easy to disconnect the lines- and to reconnect them later. I usually hear a little bump of psi relief when I do this. I then connected the lines of the implement together to keep dirt out. ( my grapple has male and female couplers.

- Cheers
This is more or less how my dealer instructed me to do it when I bought my tractor+grapple.

/ Relieving Hydraulic pressure on Third function implements prior to disconnecting the lines. #7  
Every tractor and implement will be different.

The basic steps:
1. Implement at rest or closed.
2. Hydraulic pump not running. (This could be engine off or PTO off.)
3. Implement switching valves open. (This could be ignition on but engine off or a manual valve.)
4. Operate implement control valve in all directions. (This should relieve any line pressure.)
5. Disconnect hose or hoses.

/ Relieving Hydraulic pressure on Third function implements prior to disconnecting the lines. #8  
Get the single point connectors. They are costly but you're not losing a drop of oil during disconnecting or reconnecting. They can handle some pressure. Releasing the pressure like you guys mentioned before is a must in my book. We've practiced that 30 years ago already.
The pressure that builds up during fluctuations in the temperatures are inevitable, but can be reduced if you choose a shady place and keep the attachment out of the pure sun. The single point connectors overcome that pressures without any spill.

/ Relieving Hydraulic pressure on Third function implements prior to disconnecting the lines. #9  
I used to share your frustrations and have done something similar by opening the grapple wide and placed it face down before disconnecting. (Mind is a root grapple, no long bottom tines) I still had issues so I searched for a solution & found these. Got a few & never could be more happy to have them!

View attachment 692989

View attachment 692893

View attachment 692894

View attachment 692895

View attachment 692896

Images shows mating sequence. In the third & fourth image, the nipples of the couplers have not been depressed yet.

If you want to know how well they work under pressure, take a look at the short video.

They basically work by allowing the couplers to “pre-mate” before the tips are depressed. The sleeve on the female end would slide up and engage the threads on the male end. Tightening it by hand would pull the couplers together regardless of the pressure on the lines.

Last edited:
   / Relieving Hydraulic pressure on Third function implements prior to disconnecting the lines. #10  
Those are basically Enerpac couplers. Used on Enerpac or Power Team hydraulic tools (rams, spreaders, hydraulic gear pullers, et al.)

I bought a set of mating flat face couplers from Summit Hydraulics for my grapple and attached a ¼" ball valve with a ½x¼ bushing. I threaded a sintered bronze breather into the ball valve to keep dirt and leaf cutter bees out. After disconnecting from the tractor, I attach the valve couplers to the grapple hoses. When I'm ready to reattach, I crack the ball valve to relieve any pressure build up due to atmospheric conditions and life is good. Cost was a little over $50.

BTW Aquamoose, none of the attachments will open, at least for me.

Attachments

• 20210404_162437.jpg
    20210404_162437.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 112
Last edited: