Removing dirt and going with concrete for barn.

/ Removing dirt and going with concrete for barn. #1  

cat fever

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti RX6620PS
So this barn has been used for 15+ years with a dirt floor for storing hay. We have used a tarp to keep the hay off the dirt but we decided to just go with concrete. We had a guy that was supposed to come and dig it out with his bobcat. After waiting for a few weeks my better half got tired of waiting and started digging by hand. Of course I ended taking the shovel from her and started digging. (I was happy waiting for the bobcat) We removed about 8-9 inches of dirt. The total area is 24'X21'.

The digging went by pretty fast, we were using the tractor and a wheelbarrow to haul the dirt off.
Here's some shots of the work. We'll leave the dirt around the hydrant area just in case it ever needs to be dug up.
DSCN2872.JPG
DSCN2873.JPG
DSCN2874.JPG
DSCN2870.JPG
DSCN2871.JPG

/ Removing dirt and going with concrete for barn.
Here's a couple more with the foreman looking on. He doesn't really do anything but stare.:laughing:

DSCN2875.JPG
DSCN2876.JPG

/ Removing dirt and going with concrete for barn. #3  
If you are going to continue to store hay take the time to throw a vapor barrier down before you pour.

If you are going to continue to store hay take the time to throw a vapor barrier down before you pour.

OK, thanks for the tip.

So, yes I will be storing hay there in the future.

Last edited:
   / Removing dirt and going with concrete for barn. #5  
RNumann is correct about the vapor barrier If you don't do it, you will think that it has been raining in there as the water will come right through the concrete.

I am putting in a few inches of gravel. Would the vapor barrier go under or over the gravel?

/ Removing dirt and going with concrete for barn. #7  
Put it on top of the gravel. Last layer before the concrete.

OK, Thanks.

/ Removing dirt and going with concrete for barn. #9  
I think I would put some expansion strips around the hydrant and pour concrete around it also. If you ever needed to dig it up you could just break out that small piece of concrete without damaging the rest of the slab.

Doug in SW IA

/ Removing dirt and going with concrete for barn. #10  
Impressive. These days we forget how much can be done by hand if you work at it.

What we used to do with hydrants, etc was box it out, then fill with gravel and surface with a thin layer of concrete.