Removing front wheel bushings

/ Removing front wheel bushings #1  

phil401

Tractor
john deere d110
I am trying to replace the front wheel bushings with roller bearings. I couldn't removed the bushings from the race. Does anyone have the trick to remove the bushings?

/ Removing front wheel bushings #2  
I am trying to replace the front wheel bushings with roller bearings. I couldn't removed the bushings from the race. Does anyone have the trick to remove the bushings?
If they are hardened, a press would be beneficial. If they aren't hardened a sawsall or hacksaw can be used to cut them in two halves. You can check for hardness with a file, center punch or cold chisel.

/ Removing front wheel bushings #3  
:welcome:
There are two bushings, so should be able to reach through one and carefully punch the other out. Just in case you didn't know that they were two pressed in from each side. ;)

Attachments

• 110_D110_frtwheel.JPG
    110_D110_frtwheel.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 410
Last edited:
   / Removing front wheel bushings #4  
Not sure of the setup so this might not apply.
If you run a bead of weld around the race, it'll fall out when it cools. I use that method constantly, it saves beating and smashing trying to get a race out. That's where tig comes in handy as you can just run a bead around it with no filler but stick will work just as good just a bit trickier.....Mike

/ Removing front wheel bushings #5  
I pounded on my wheel for about an hour with no luck. Heated bushing surface 2 to 3 minutes with propane torch and they came out easily. Don't heat painted surfaces.

/ Removing front wheel bushings #6  
I remember going through this with my L118. What a pain.