Removing Oil Filter on Korean Tractor???

/ Removing Oil Filter on Korean Tractor??? #1  

RidgeHiker

Gold Member
Tractor
Kioti DK5010 with KL5510 Loader & 72" Bucket. Kawasaki Mule Pro MX SE with 66" snow plow.
Hi All. Have a Kioti DK5010. Doing my first oil change. No luck in removing the oil filter. Used filter wrench, used short pipe on it, tapped filter with mallet. Have assumed that they turn counter clockwise to loosen as US vehicles. Is this correct?

Assuming I am turning it the correct direction any other suggestions?

Thanks for your help.

/ Removing Oil Filter on Korean Tractor??? #3  
The secret is to have a good wrench or tool. The ones that slip over the back as shown in the above video are usually good, if they fit your particular filter. (the trick that is shown is a good one that I will keep in mind) I have three different sizes of that type in my tool chest. The wrenches that squeeze around the parameter are good if you have room to use them. In the past, wen all else has failed, I have resorted to driving a long screw driver through the middle to loosen them. Once you get one that is way too tight to remove, you hopefully learn not to use a tool to tighten the new one. Hand tight is shufficient.

/ Removing Oil Filter on Korean Tractor???
GOT IT! Glad I bought that huge Harbor Freight pipe wrench on sale. Just big enough. Took some fiddling to get it to grip.
Thanks Katahdin. Youtube video took me to another that suggested a pipe wrench among other things. My son suggested piercing it with a screwdriver but that seemed too messy except as a last resort.

/ Removing Oil Filter on Korean Tractor??? #5  
RidgeHiker - EXACTLY as I was going to suggest - - get a bigger wrench. Like all other manufacturers - they have a giant gorilla that tightens the OEM filters.

No - JMHO but I would surmise that when the new engine is painted - fresh paint will - more or less - seal that oil filter onto the tractor. The paint finds the tiny seal line between the filter and the filter base - fills the seal line - dries - makes removal of the original filter something of a nightmare.

I had to pull so hard on my filter wrench - partially collapsed the filter - saw stars before my eyes - got mad - finally wrenched it off.

/ Removing Oil Filter on Korean Tractor??? #6  
Another quick idea....make sure you run up the engine to operating temp...helps when you try to take of stubborn filters. BobG in VA

/ Removing Oil Filter on Korean Tractor??? #7  
My practice is to take new vehicles back to the dealer for the first oil change. My experience going back a few years is that the factory installed filters and drain plugs are way overtightened.

/ Removing Oil Filter on Korean Tractor??? #8  
It seems that the initial filter change can be quite difficult.
On mine I used an adjustable band type wrench, then a strap wrench then a chain wrench, then a hammer and chisel to finally get it started.

/ Removing Oil Filter on Korean Tractor??? #9  
Glad you had success !!

There are some real good ideas on this thread that I will try to remember. I have had some tight filters and only have had to screw driver one of them but for me that would be a last resort now after seeing some of these other methods. Thanks all.

One of the things that works for me is using the type wrench in the video but hammering it on first. And don't be shy about it.

gg

Last edited:
   / Removing Oil Filter on Korean Tractor??? #10  
Saw a guy on YouTube change the filter on his new Kioti. He was warned by a kioti service person that they were extremely tight and dificult to remove that first time. maybe they dont wipe a smear of oil on the gasket when it is installed at the factory?