Removing / unscrewing a broken off pvc male adaptor

/ Removing / unscrewing a broken off pvc male adaptor #1  

plowhog

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey 1710 / 1758, Ventrac 4500Y / TD9
During construction, a freezeless yard hydrant was broken off. It is metal, but was plumbed from the bottom using 3/4" pvc pipe. The threaded male part of the pvc male adaptor is stuck in the bottom of the (metal) assembly. The rest of it is broken off flush. I can't figure out how to get it out.

I've tried the old tried and true-- a hammer and a chisel hoping to turn it/unscrew it. No luck-- just deforming the little plastic I have access to. I also tried using a plumbing seat wrench but it won't go in far enough to get a bite-- it hits the sealing ball of the freezeless hydrant.

Any ideas?

/ Removing / unscrewing a broken off pvc male adaptor #2  
In no particular order.
An internal (cam acting) pipe wrench.
A machinist's pick. Possibly with something like PVC cement to soften the remains of the fitting.
A burr, sand paper wrapped dowel, or even a drill bit the size of the root diameter of the male threads leaving you to pick out the PVC threads without damaging the metal female threads.
Good luck.

/ Removing / unscrewing a broken off pvc male adaptor #3  
I think this is what you're looking for:

00723235.jpg

(example: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Orbit-Riser-Extractor/3420774)
I have 1/2" and 3/4" versions, they work pretty well, even on pvc broken off inside of pvc, without damaging the female threads.

Last edited:
   / Removing / unscrewing a broken off pvc male adaptor #4  
An easy out like the device posted above will work.

/ Removing / unscrewing a broken off pvc male adaptor #5  
I usually use a hacksaw blade and make 3 or 4 cuts about 1/4" apart inside the metal pipe. Then use an awl to pry then out. Needle nose plyers to get the rest out.

/ Removing / unscrewing a broken off pvc male adaptor #6  
Use a flat file tap it just enough so the edges dig in to the pvc, then take a winch and turn it out.

/ Removing / unscrewing a broken off pvc male adaptor #7  
Heat it up (propane torch). It will set so soft that you can stick a gloved finger in it and back it out.

/ Removing / unscrewing a broken off pvc male adaptor
I think this is what you're looking for:

00723235.jpg

(example: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Orbit-Riser-Extractor/3420774)
I have 1/2" and 3/4" versions, they work pretty well, even on pvc broken off inside of pvc, without damaging the female threads.
I have one of these but not with a removable bit. It's the tool that could not be inserted far enough otherwise it bottomed out first.

Many good ideas-- I will try them, and I will look for this same tool with a larger auger. Thanks!

/ Removing / unscrewing a broken off pvc male adaptor #9  
I made something similar to that tool. I started with a 1" wide piece of 1/8th flat steel and hammered over an edge so it would bite into the PVC then twisted it out with pliers. Make the steel as short and as wide as you want.

/ Removing / unscrewing a broken off pvc male adaptor #10  
Such a great forum, seeing all the folks willing to help, sorry to be slow to the party. The guy with the torch has it nailed, many of the others including the file will work too, Might use a wrench, a winch seems like over kill:)

Best,

ed