rental/lease returns vs new

/ rental/lease returns vs new #1  

monkeybreath

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota 3410
In my search for a new or used tractor, I find that several dealers (NH / JD / Kubota / MF) rather immediately begin to advise me about availability of like new tractors they refer to as rentals or lease returns. They quote hours from about 50 to 200 on the units. They are apparently readily available from all of these dealers. When you all are referring to "new" tractors are these included ? or is this something new ? It doesn't appear that there is a great deal of saving off new price if any. New tractor warranty.

/ rental/lease returns vs new #2  
Ron: I live in the central coast of California in the wine country. The local JD dealer in Santa Maria had about 50 JD 790 (30 total HP, 25 PTO HP). He has less than 10/ they are used to tow trailers through the fields during harvest and have probably "0" PTO hrs. I bought a 1998 JD 770 20 PTO HP recently from a guy that bought it in June 1999 with 52 hours. The NH dealer in Paso Robles had some NH 29D models with around 50 hrs. They had their 50 hr service. They are all basic 8 or 9 speed manual shift 4X4 tractors with rear PTO only. I'vd not seen a new JD 790 at a dealer, they only had the lease returns, and unload them each year. You might have more barganing power on one of these than a new one. Just like cars. they want to sell what's on the lot. If I hadn't found my 770 with only 229 hrs, Id' have bought a lease return. If they did have nave any initial problems, they've been fixed. Plus, they come with no implement other than a tow bar, so your FEL< etc is new anyway. You might want to consider updating your profile. Seems price is driven by location, and we in California pay through the nose.

/ rental/lease returns vs new #3  
I have no problem buying lease return tractors if I know whet they were used for. In our area a large nursery leases a large number of larger New Holland's for the summer season and they get sold at the end of the year. Again they only pull wagons. I do know that New Holland Credit owns these tractors and they are just being stored at the local dealer so in many ways you are dealing with the price the credit company will let the dealer buy them for plus the dealer's markup. I believe this is all calculated when the tractor is leased. Since the dealer has no money in the tractor they may not be inclined to deal very hard.

Andy

/ rental/lease returns vs new
Thanks for info. I will be checking to see if any of these have HST which, because I have been really reviewing all posts here, is something I think I want. Also, the implements would be added and new.