Repair, re-seal, or replace a Hydraulic Pump

/ Repair, re-seal, or replace a Hydraulic Pump #1  

plowhog

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey 1710 / 1758, Ventrac 4500Y / TD9
I have an old tractor (International 3414) which recently blew the seal on the hydraulic pump. A friend was connecting up an attachment, and when he hit a bypass valve I believe it deadheaded the pump. Soon after, hydraulic fluid was shooting out the back of the pump.

The pump is a Dynamatic-- made in the U.K. No repair parts available here in the USA. You cannot purchase a single seal kit-- must order a kit of 5 which is $150. Then we get to shipping-- across the Atlantic Ocean, which is another $150.

I searched online and found there is a bolt on replacement pump that will work. These run $700 or $800 bucks. I'd like to get my tractor running again, and I'm uncertain whether to:
a) order the seal kit and hope for the best,
b) buy a new pump, bolt it on and be done, or,
c) take it to a shop and let them figure it out.

Any ideas?

/ Repair, re-seal, or replace a Hydraulic Pump #2  
I have an old tractor (International 3414) which recently blew the seal on the hydraulic pump. A friend was connecting up an attachment, and when he hit a bypass valve I believe it deadheaded the pump. Soon after, hydraulic fluid was shooting out the back of the pump.

The pump is a Dynamatic-- made in the U.K. No repair parts available here in the USA. You cannot purchase a single seal kit-- must order a kit of 5 which is $150. Then we get to shipping-- across the Atlantic Ocean, which is another $150.

I searched online and found there is a bolt on replacement pump that will work. These run $700 or $800 bucks. I'd like to get my tractor running again, and I'm uncertain whether to:
a) order the seal kit and hope for the best,
b) buy a new pump, bolt it on and be done, or,
c) take it to a shop and let them figure it out.

Any ideas?

Find a hydraulic repair shop they will have about any seal or o rings you need. I worked at one years ago and some one was always bringing in an oddball. The pump may be damaged also. They can check it out.

/ Repair, re-seal, or replace a Hydraulic Pump #3  

I have never heard of that brand, and I have never heard of paying $150 for shipping some seals across the pond. I get parts all the time from Europe and China, and the shipping cost is quite reasonable. It can take a few weeks, however.

Now that said, I have rebuilt some gear pumps and replacing the seals is not hard, but the special E-shaped seals are very specific to the pump. Even a pump with some cavitation damage can be made serviceable with new seals. The bearings and shaft seals can be generic.

Also, if you can make the substitution, new gear pumps can be had, cheap, from places like Surplus Center. I have purchased pumps there for under $150 that worked out fine.

Attachments

• Casappa_3.jpg
    Casappa_3.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 495
  • Casappa_4.jpg
    Casappa_4.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 195
  • Casappa_5.jpg
    Casappa_5.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 205
  • Casappa_6.jpg
    Casappa_6.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 103
   / Repair, re-seal, or replace a Hydraulic Pump
That helps, thanks. Surplus Center might have what I need but I will need to call them to confirm Monday.

/ Repair, re-seal, or replace a Hydraulic Pump #5  
While you are at it, add one of these pressure relief valves, see pic.
When I installed rear remotes on my 3510 Branson for a backhoe attachment I wasn't sure where the pressure relief valve was so I installed one in the circuit for safety.
It has pressure in, pressure out and a fluid return. It is pressure adjustable.
I don't remember the price or where I got it but my 2 go-to places are Surplus Center and Baileynet.com. ??

Attachments

• 000_0654.jpg
    000_0654.jpg
    344.9 KB · Views: 82