Replace Furnace Nozzle (Fuel Oil)

/ Replace Furnace Nozzle (Fuel Oil) #1  

CobyRupert

Tractor
JD 5075E
First time that I'm changing out the nozzle on my, fuel oil furnace.

About to put new nozzle in and I notice that you can hear a rattle (like a bearing ball) in the nozzle adaptor, that the nozzle screws into, when you tilt the fuel line assembly.

Is this normal? Is there a ball in there that acts like a anti-siphon or something? (I didn't give it the Monica test)

If so, another problem is sometimes when I tilt it, I don't hear the rattle, almost like it's stuck, until I give it a tap and then it I can hear it again. Until it gets stuck again. When stuck, it seems I can still blow through it.

I found this picture which is almost identical to my assembly. I asking about the brass adaptor fitting on the left end that the (unshown) nozzle would screw into.
Thanks

Nozzle assemly.jpg

/ Replace Furnace Nozzle (Fuel Oil) #2  
I have a similar if not the same type nozzle for my furnaces. When the nozzle is removed as your picture shows nothing rattles if I shake it and air (or fuel) will blow through easily. Inside the nozzle tip there are parts that will rattle if they come unscrewed. Not sure if there is a check ball in there or not. I hear no rattle on mine with the nozzle removed. Once a year I change the nozzle tip. Then take the old one apart and clean it in lacquer thinner or similar solvent then reassemble and put back on the shelf for next year. I always keep a couple spare tips around as my filter doesn't seem to catch all it should.

Attachments

• mini_DSCN2158.JPG
    mini_DSCN2158.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 90
  • mini_DSCN2157.JPG
    mini_DSCN2157.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 74
   / Replace Furnace Nozzle (Fuel Oil) #3  
I thought wear was a factor in replacing nozzles. And shouldn't a nozzle replacement go in conjunction with a cleaning and a general tune up? To get max. efficiency you need to adjust the airflow after the new nozzle is in place.

/ Replace Furnace Nozzle (Fuel Oil)
Thanks for replies.

The rattle is not from the nozzles.
I'm getting a rattle from inside the nozzle adaptor, the fitting the nozzle screws onto. I get this after the nozzle has been removed.

Further internet searching says that in the nozzle line is a "vent plug"?

Not sure what that is, or how it operates. Or if it should rattle?
I still wonder if it is operating correctly?
Whatever I hear moving seems to "stick" often, but not every time, and I call draw/blow air through no matter position?

/ Replace Furnace Nozzle (Fuel Oil) #6  
I have a spare unit like the pic in the first post. I just removed the brass piece from the line and found nothing inside and air blows through both ways. Delavan calls it an adaptrap, this site calls it a nozzle adapter. So not sure what the rattle in yours is coming from.
1/8 oil nozzle adapter, 1 3/8" long, Delavan 28737-1

Their picture shows it on the wrong side of the fuel pipe but same adapter.

Thanks George!
But now I think the "vent plug" is in the nozzle line (tube) portion, and maybe that is what rattled? What do you see when you look into the fuel line line portion with the adaptor off? What do you see when you look through the adaptor?

Well, I really scooched the pooch! I tried to take off the adaptor from the fuel line tube and instead of unthreading, it twisted/sheared the fuel line tube right off. Broken. Probably a rookie move. But something randomly sticking didn't seem right either, so I figured why not keep taking it apart? Probably should of just soaked it in cleaner instead.

So now I'm really at a loss, cause I don't know exactly what is inside this tube that needs to be replaced. Adaptor also needs replacement because it still has the broken fuel lines threads in it.

Last edited:
   / Replace Furnace Nozzle (Fuel Oil) #8  
Sorry to hear you twisted the line off. Now you'll have to go to your local heating / furnace supply house for a replacement. Mine unscrewed with a pipe wrench with a cloth wrapped around the tube. Guess I got lucky. I did not see anything inside the tube itself once the brass adapter was removed. The adapter I could not see through. It has a couple holes around the outer edge for fuel to get through what looked like a baffle plate but no moving parts inside.

Thanks for all the effort!
Yes, similar here. I can see a baffle with small fuel hole in the adaptor. And also when I look into the tube, it looks like I see another baffle inside the tube. I'll have to see if the rattle is gone. Maybe something was in between "baffles"?

Follow up:
Not a "baffle" I was seeing in the tube, but the "vent plug".
The "vent plug" in the tube is basically a 6" metal rod. That's it. Not sure how it actually works or what it does.
It definitely is the source of the "rattle". Lesson learned!
I think it gets "stuck" sometimes in the bend of the tube, and then falls back and is stopped at the baffle in the adapter.

Last edited: