Replace Furnace Nozzle (Fuel Oil)

/ Replace Furnace Nozzle (Fuel Oil) #11  
The vent plug/rod is there to dissolve any air bubbles that may be in the oil. It floats inside the tube so it's normal to rattle around inside. Now that it's broke your best bet is to take it to your local oil heating co. and have them match it up with one of the same length. They might have a junk pile you can pick through...Its very important to find one of the same length or you'll have to have a service tech set up the burner. The part you broke is called the Drawer Assembly. If you measure the length I might have one I can send you. What model burner?

/ Replace Furnace Nozzle (Fuel Oil) #12  
The vent plug/rod is there to dissolve any air bubbles that may be in the oil. It floats inside the tube so it's normal to rattle around inside. Now that it's broke your best bet is to take it to your local oil heating co. and have them match it up with one of the same length. They might have a junk pile you can pick through...Its very important to find one of the same length or you'll have to have a service tech set up the burner. The part you broke is called the Drawer Assembly. If you measure the length I might have one I can send you. What model burner?

If available, the best "fix" is natural gas.
We had oil for years, then natural gas came down the road.
Now, no more expensive burner tune ups/burner parts, and no more tank with a leak potential.
Gas Co. even sold me the boiler..CHEAP!

/ Replace Furnace Nozzle (Fuel Oil) #13  
Morning, Hope you had or found a spare tube to get your burner back on line, temps are dropping today.

/ Replace Furnace Nozzle (Fuel Oil)
Morning, Hope you had or found a spare tube to get your burner back on line, temps are dropping today.

Thanks Lou.
Found shelves of furnace tubes of various sizes at F.W. Webb in Queensbury. And bins of nozzles. First time in that store. Man, that's a man's man hardware store! (Well, actually a plumbing, heating, industrial supply store that would gladly sell to both sexes :rolleyes:).
Don't know if I'll get it installed tonight before turkey traveling on Wednesday. I primarily heat with wood, the furnace probably runs <20 hours a year, with the Thanksgiving away time being a few of them. Don't think the house will freeze up between Wed & Sat, but I bet it'll be cool inside when we get back.

Natural gas is not an option for most of the county.

Wondering: Does a furnace running so few hours with long intervals between starts have negative effects?

/ Replace Furnace Nozzle (Fuel Oil) #15  
It does indeed. A well-used and maintained oil furnace can last for decades. The keywords they are being maintained. I recommend getting a professional out to have a look.

/ Replace Furnace Nozzle (Fuel Oil) #16  
Not that it matters, but the writing is on the wall... in about 40 years from now, oil furnaces will be no more (and that writing was on the wall close to 10 years ago).

Use to own a Bacharach combustion test kit myself for oil work (let along a cheap Z gauge LOL), don't use it anymore nor do I ever intend to. An oil heating system is a completely different animal. Don't miss it, never will.

/ Replace Furnace Nozzle (Fuel Oil) #17  
Thanks Lou.
Found shelves of furnace tubes of various sizes at F.W. Webb in Queensbury. And bins of nozzles. First time in that store. Man, that's a man's man hardware store! (Well, actually a plumbing, heating, industrial supply store that would gladly sell to both sexes :rolleyes:).
Don't know if I'll get it installed tonight before turkey traveling on Wednesday. I primarily heat with wood, the furnace probably runs <20 hours a year, with the Thanksgiving away time being a few of them. Don't think the house will freeze up between Wed & Sat, but I bet it'll be cool inside when we get back.

Natural gas is not an option for most of the county.

Wondering: Does a furnace running so few hours with long intervals between starts have negative effects?

Yes, that's a pretty good store, Sawyers is also.
Yep, I don't think I'll ever see natural gas available, or fast reliable internet or cable tv.
One problem with not running an oil burner regularly is that the fuel will gum up sometimes in the smaller lines and nozzle,
plus you can get algae in the tank which can be a royal pain,
also the fire brick in the combustion chamber will absorb moisture and start to break down.
My oil fired boiler provides my hot water so it runs a bit everyday. If you need a service tech Barnett Fuels has a guy that's supposed to be good.
I ended up using coal as my auxiliary heat source, wood being such a pain to keep a head off.
Enjoy your Holiday