Replacement engine for BCS 948 tractor/tiller.

/ Replacement engine for BCS 948 tractor/tiller.
OP
O

oughtsix

Bronze Member
Tractor
'58 Fordson New major, BCS 735 & 715
The (new) BCS 948:
DSC07111 (Medium).JPG

I ran the GX390 one time for about 5 minutes. Here is the puddle it left:
DSC07109 (Medium).JPG

Below is the leaking valve cover. I think the previous owner also messed with the valves and disabled the compression release which is why it is such a bear to turn over. The threads in the block for the valve cover retaining bolt are stripped so the valve cover can no longer be tightened. For $500 I can put a new more powerful engine on this 948 which I think will be worth it.
DSC07138 (Medium).JPG

Top view:
DSC07108 (Medium).JPG

The broken dead mans switch/paddle:
DSC07112 (Medium).JPG

The clutch control cable looks a little questionable. I will have to see how much a new one is to decide to replace it or not:
DSC07113 (Medium).JPG

The cables on the other (right) handle. One for brake and one for releasing the steering column so it can be repositioned. I think the outside one is the brake which looks like it should be replaced. Again I will have to see how much a new one costs.
DSC07114 (Medium).JPG

The rest of the right hand handle:
DSC07116 (Medium).JPG

A shot from the back:
DSC07117 (Medium).JPG

Here is the 948 looking longingly at todays snow just itching to go out and play!
DSC07136 (Medium).JPG

Last edited:
OP
O

oughtsix

Bronze Member
Tractor
********************************** 735 ******************************************
Here is my first BCS, a Mainland 735 just in time for the first snow of the season today. I think it dates back to the 70's:
DSC07139 (Medium).JPG

The original motor was an Acme 10hp. About 25 years ago I bought the engine swap kit and put a GX390 on it. A couple years ago the GX390 lost compression so I put a Predator 420 on it. Those extra CC's made a huge difference in how it handles the snow blower. The Predator 420 doesn't bog down like the GX390 did.

It is wearing the handles from a 715 which do not have a differential release lever or brake levers. Having the differential locked when blowing snow is a MAJOR disadvantage. This is the proper 735 handles:
DSC07124 (Medium).JPG

The toggle switch is my version of a dead mans switch. Forwards is run. I can grab the switch and pull it back quickly to kill the motor.

This is the control shaft from the 735. The internal rod and cone shaped piece rusted through. This is the control column:
DSC07135 (Medium).JPG

I have welded it back together a couple times. I think it is time to make a whole new column with a new disconnect rod and new cone shaped piece.

Here is the old 715 parts tractor still wearing its ACME 8hp engine. The ACME does run but has low power. A few years ago I scored a engine swap kit on ebay for a couple hundred dollars because I figured I could use it some day. I might put a new engine on this 715 and sell it.
DSC07122 (Medium).JPG

This is the tiller gear box from the 735:
DSC07128 (Medium).JPG

There should be a similar stud on the other side of the gearbox but it snapped off several years ago. So I put the gear shaft in the lathe and drilled out the stud (not really a stud because it is cast as a single piece) so I could rep0lace it with a bolt:
DSC07127 (Medium).JPG

Right after doing the operation on the tiller shaft I found the 715 on Craigslist for $200 and bought it. I used the 715 tiller on the 735:
DSC07119 (Medium).JPG

The rear cover plate for the 715 tiller (on the left) fell off in the middle of my garden somewhere. I need a buddy with a metal detector to find it. I will probably just order a replacement.

The 715 came with wheel extensions which I will remove before selling it.
DSC07133 (Medium).JPG

How am I doing for a picture thread? (I like threads with lots of pictures to so I might have gone overboard a bit).

Last edited:
   / Replacement engine for BCS 948 tractor/tiller. #13  

Topzide

Gold Member
Tractor
Iseki 2140 & 2160
You can put a heli-coul in valve cover bolt hole to fix that issue. Would be worthwhile to see if you can get the Honda working. If you had already budgeted for the other motor, put on the shelf if you get Honda running. Money in the bank down the road if it goes belly up on you. Who knows, another project may drop in your lap for the Predator motor. Great find and a beast of a 2 wheel tractor! Played with a lot of Gravelys and work on a couple BCS's with BS.

OP
O

oughtsix

Bronze Member
Tractor
You can put a heli-coul in valve cover bolt hole to fix that issue. Would be worthwhile to see if you can get the Honda working. If you had already budgeted for the other motor, put on the shelf if you get Honda running. Money in the bank down the road if it goes belly up on you. Who knows, another project may drop in your lap for the Predator motor. Great find and a beast of a 2 wheel tractor! Played with a lot of Gravelys and work on a couple BCS's with BS.

Good advice. I had a heli-coil in the back of my mind. I have never done one before. I am a little worried about the compression release not working. I "think" that this might be fixed by adjusting the valves? I think it was over 40 years ago that my father showed my how to adjust the valves on out 63 Falcon but have never done it myself.

P.S. I was considering putting the GX390 on the 715 since I have a spare ACME to BS conversion kit including the new clutch then selling it.

Last edited:
OP
O

oughtsix

Bronze Member
Tractor
I just spent a couple hundred on cables and a dead man handle bar lever. They should be her next week.
All new cables should go a long way to getting her back in good shape. New motor and new cables should make is close to a new tiller.

/ Replacement engine for BCS 948 tractor/tiller. #16  

otsegony

Joel DuFour of Earthtools does a good job of explaining how to adjust Honda GX valves here: