Replacing the Knee

/ Replacing the Knee #1  

kenmac

Tractor
McCormick CX105 Kubota MX 5100 HST, Kubota ZD1021, Kawsaki Mule 4010 trans 4x4
Playing football & 30 years of crawling under homes doing plumbing / HVAC has finally caught up with me in my old age.
Possible looking at Knee replacement if a few injections don't work out.

Anyone gone through it ?
Any do's or don'ts, healing time, advice I need to know about if it comes to replacement.

Thanks for any advice from anyone with experience with procedure .

I'm hoping these steroid shots will do the trick

/ Replacing the Knee #2  
My father in-law had his replaced when he was around 80. He was a macho type guy, so when they gave him rehab exercises, say, 3 sets of 10 twice a day, he did 6 sets of 20 4 times a day. He regretted that about 4 days into it. On the other hand, my mother in-law had her hip replaced and they gave her exercises of 3 sets of 10 twice a day, and she only did 1 set of 10 once a day.

So father in-law over did it and hurt himself. Mother in-law under did it, and never recovered completely. Father in-law eventually recovered nicely, but it took longer because of the damage he did early.

When I had my index finger nearly severed off and bones mashed, the surgeon told me they'd be happy if I could pinch my finger tip to my thumb after therapy. My therapist kept at it, gave me directions that I followed to the letter, and low and behold, I have 95% use of my finger, can make a fist, and am 100% happy with the results.

My advice,

Follow your therapists advice to the letter after the surgery.

/ Replacing the Knee #3  
My dad had his replaced about 14 years ago. He is needing them again. One thing I tried to get him to do was to go to a reputable hospital known for their reputation in those type of surgeries. He didn't, he went to the local podunk hospital in Marysville Ohio and had a hack job done that made him knock kneed and caused other foot issues.

He is regretting he didn't go to OSU medical or a big city hospital now. Don't do it in podunk towns because you or your family don't want to drive into the city. Have someone drive you there if you have to, trust me, you will be glad you did.

/ Replacing the Knee #4  
Had my left knee replaced in 2014. Back then I stayed in the hospital for 3 days. Now it is outpatient surgery, you go home that day or the next. I had surgery on Tuesday, went home Friday, wife went to work on Monday and left me at home by myself. By then I was getting around on my own, could get something to eat or drink, and make it without problems into the recliner to watch TV. I used a walker for 2 weeks and then a cane for 2 weeks. Physical therapy came to my house 3 days a week for 6 weeks. Did exercises on my own on the other days. Bought some Vive standalone toilet assist handles that slid around the toilet to help get me up at first as your leg doesn't bend so good. I had minimal pain with mine.

Went back to work in the hospital after 8 weeks. Had occasional minor pain and swelling for 6-12 months, used some Tylenol or Advil plus an icepack. What I miss is being able to get down on my knee. The incision goes across the kneecap and hurts to put pressure on it. Climbing ladders is a bit more challenging after the surgery.

/ Replacing the Knee #5  
Had my right knee replaced 12 years ago, and like Randy, a few days in the hospital, and then had to go to a physical therapist for a while. I would not want to go through that again . . . BUT . . . that knee is still just fine. But now the other knee is giving me trouble and I'm not at all sure I'd want to have it replaced at my age.

My mother had one knee replaced by an incompetent doctor, did no exercise and was never able to bend that knee again.

/ Replacing the Knee #6  
I have chronic knee issues so I've researched it a bunch and talked with all my friends with knees replaced

Common theme. Robot assisted is the way to go. Never get an old fashioned one

/ Replacing the Knee #7  
Monday I walked across down the driveway, across the road, and up my disabled neighbor's drive to give him a bag of dried apples. He was sitting in his yard watching me and remarked that I had walked fast, not limped, and seemed to have no trouble with my knee. I had it replaced in 2016. The only time I notice it is when I do something stupid like jump out of the bed of my truck which can hurt for a minute or two. Also once or twice a year I will spin around quickly on that foot and get a thirty second twinge of pain in my left knee. Other than the fact that it is half again the size of my right and the eight inch long scar I never notice it.

Take the above advice and DO NOT go to a doctor/hospital that does a replacement occasionally. Go to somebody that does several a week. The doctor that did mine has a reputation of the lowest amount of infections, lowest amount of do overs, and highest satisfaction of any in the country. That is according to a couple of medical sales people that we know. It takes a couple months to even get an appointment to see him. Usually you will see his assistant first, then you will see the doctor on the second visit. According to the assistant about 30% of their work is fixing somebody else's screwups (his words). He does not believe in a lot of therapy. Says if overdone it can cause problems. The therapist came to my house three times a week and did gentle exercises that were not painful. Once the knee could straighten itself completely without pain while I laid on the bed on my stomach she said her job was done and spent the rest of the sessions chatting and massaging the muscles in that leg.

They had me attend a two hour "boot camp" a week or two before surgery. This was required by the clinic and said it had cut down after surgery problems greatly. Instructions were given on how to prepare the home for after surgery and my wife and I followed the instructions exactly. For example, you will need a walker for a couple weeks and they told us to do a dress rehearsal for coming home after the surgery. For example, wife pulled out of drive, circled the block, parked in the garage and I could not get out with the walker. Backed out of the garage, I got out, made it into the house but could not get past a couch to go to the bedroom. Furniture moved slightly and no problem on actual homecoming. Clinic said sometimes people had to remove bathroom doors for a few weeks.

Well I am rambling. Anyway, go to a doctor that has a good reputation locally. Ask around and if people are happy with their doctor they will tell you. Or PM me and I will tell you the name and location of the doctor that did my surgery. He also did both my father-in-law's shoulder replacements. He treated my mother for her knee problems. And we have sent several other family members to him.

Good luck.

RSKY

/ Replacing the Knee #8  
Take the above advice and DO NOT go to a doctor/hospital that does a replacement occasionally. Go to somebody that does several a week....
That's good advice.

After my finger got smushed, I went to a guy that sat me down and said, "I'm the guy you want. I only work from the mid forearm to fingertips. Nothing else. It's my passion. I love how wrists and hands work, and am fascinated by them. I've done thousands, and each one is different. I'm excited to get your case."

Man did that put me at ease. Results were great.

/ Replacing the Knee #9  
Just had a partial, left knee inside. All the advise given on this post is good, follow it. They offered me this knee bending machine, which I use. It shows you the degrees of bend and will keep doing that bend till you stop it. I might have to pay $250 deductible, but I don't care it works great. I have to return it when I'm done.

/ Replacing the Knee #10  
I know to people that have had knee replacements. My sister one knee. It’s a lot better but not 100%. Hers hurt so bad she had to do something. Tge other guy I know had both done. One went well, the other they had to do follow up surgery on. Like my sister, a big improvement but not a 100%.

I think in both cases they went from a couple days after surgery saying this is the worst thing ever to a couple of more days saying this isn‘t so bad.