Repower or Sell PT-425...?

/ Repower or Sell PT-425...? #1  

pka45

Tractor
2008 PT425
Hi all,

My 2008 PT-425 with 560 hours on the Robin has finally burned up the starter (too much cranking to get it to run in the winter as I don't keep it in a garage!). Great machine, except for the cold starting, so I'm probably looking for a different engine instead of spending a couple hundred on a new starter (are they really $300?). I have read here about the Kohler conversions being fairly simple (thanks cqaigy2), and the Predators being not worth it. Anyone actually used a B&S? What is the model number of the replacement Kohler, and is Equipatron still the best price?

Or, should I just sell the darned thing. Spent 2 hours push mowing yesterday and still not finished...

Thanks for the help and allowing my frustrated rambling.

Pete

Last edited:
   / Repower or Sell PT-425...? #2  
I think if were me I would go with a Kohler most things needed for the change over would be available through Powertrac ..... Call Terry..... Jim

/ Repower or Sell PT-425...? #3  
Just so you know, I've replaced the starter on my Kohler as well. ;)

I'd say, if you're happy with the way the machine is working except for the starter and cold weather starting, and there's no indication that anything else is problematic on the engine, $300 for another 13 years of service comes out to about 6 cents per day.

I'd weigh that along with the cost of making it a bit easier to start in cold weather before considering an engine swap.

However, if you're wanting to upgrade, as others have suggested, contact PowerTrac and see what they say and how much the conversion parts will cost you.

Are you handy with the knuckle busters? (tools)

/ Repower or Sell PT-425...? #4  
If it were me, I would put in the new starter and see what I could do to help the engine start in the cold. Or not worry about it too much...this starter might have been on the weak end of the spectrum when it was made.

If it makes you feel better, I had to replace my Deutz starter at about the same hours. I bought an aftermarket one for a third of the Deutz price from a local auto parts store. It has now lasted as long as the Deutz did.

All the best,

Peter

/ Repower or Sell PT-425...? #5  
I replaced the starter on my Robin's engine. I don't recall who made it, but matched power and gear tooth size/count as the original. I thought it was around $150 or so, but that was a bunch of years ago. Also replaced the voltage regulator. My problem was a nice mouse nest that had been built up against those parts. Don't ask me how i missed it, but i did, and the mouse urine corroded the starter motor bushing and voltage regulator.

/ Repower or Sell PT-425...? #8  
You could look for a local AUTO ELECTRIC shop. That is a place that rebuilds starters and alternators and everything else electric that can be rebuild in vehicles. They will replace the bushings, brushes, and elect contacts in the starter and it is usually inexpensive. They usually are subcontracted by car repair garages. Just a possibility if you dont want new.

/ Repower or Sell PT-425...? #10  
I just lost the starter to my EZ-GO 22 Robin. I'd had it re-brushed a decade ago for ~$110 but doubt they did anything with the bearings. It's both starter and generator. At a different shop guy the says best is to have complete rebuild. Had one on the shelf, $180 + tx and cash. (had it) End caps were 180 out and they took a few minutes to rotate one to match the other, but despite my explanation left 'em both 180 from leads reaching to connect. 1/2 hr to 180 the poles/caps and 1 hr to reinstall. I had 'er going again that afternoon.

While my GC is an early '90s model I just replaced the Robin 300cc a few yrs ago. Totally different use (intermittent vs working) but I wouldn't cut corners. What Moss said, it might not take much to give the PT another few years on the job w/o starting over. btw, no Kohlers for me ever but I make good $$ working on 'em. (usually rocker/valve-train component fail, stuck cam followers, etc)