Requirement for Wind Speed Indicators on Cranes

/ Requirement for Wind Speed Indicators on Cranes #1  

sparc

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 4410, NH TC-25, Bobcat M610, JD X534, Dig-It Model 158, JD Ztrak 737. 6X4 Gator
I know there must be a few OEs or other knowledgeable people on here that can answer
this for me. I looked on OSHA's site and searched here but could not find the answer.
This is for my own personal interest in crane operations. On the various jobs I have worked
years ago (retired now) I often asked myself the following questions but haven't found
the answers as yet.

My questions are:

For a crawler type lattice boom crane, under the new OSHA cranes rules
are they required to have a wind speed indicator mounted on the crane?

Which leads into a couple more questions.

1. If YES then do older cranes have to be backfitted with a wind speed indicator and is
there a requirement for its height, i.e., should it be mounted at the average working
height of the load or at the top of the boom or are multiple measurements at different
elevations required.

2. Can a locally mounted wind speed indicator that is calibrated and maintained
be used in place of a nonexistant or broken crane mounted indicator and if yes
then how close is close enough. Is a half mile away considered 'close' or not assuming
no large buildings or other structures that could influence wind direction or velocity
readings or have detrimental effects on the crane or its load are nearby.

All the hydraulic telescoping boom truck cranes I ever worked with had a wind speed
indicator. Not sure if they were required or the owner added them afterward or they
bought with the crane as an option. RT mobile cranes I don't remember having any
indicator for wind speed.

/ Requirement for Wind Speed Indicators on Cranes #2  
OSHA has different rules depending on the application. This is below is for construction cranes.

Wind speed indicator. A device must be provided to
display the wind speed and must be mounted above
the upper rotating structure on tower cranes. On
self erecting cranes, it must be mounted at or above
the jib level. Temporary alternative measures: Use of
wind speed information from a properly functioning
indicating device on another tower crane on the
ァ 1926.1435 Tower cranes
40 ゥ 2010 National Commission for the Certification of Crane Operators. All rights reserved. OSHA 29 CFR 1926 SUBPART CC Rev1010 DRAFT
same site, or a qualified person estimates the wind speed.

http://www.nccco.org/training/documents/OSHA29CFR1926subpartCCRegulationText.pdf

I also know each crane MFG give very easy to understand information in the crane manual on wind speed and lift.

/ Requirement for Wind Speed Indicators on Cranes #3  
This is the OSHA report on the Big Blue crane that tipped over if you are interested. The winds were over the 20MPH limit of the crane, and at a pre-lift meeting the operators were not there. Had they been I would have thought when the wind speed was brought up they would have objected. Can't find what I was looking for, but a report I had seen back then. Had 1 worker objected, they would have had to delay the lift, but no one in the safety meeting was aware or questioned what the wind speeds were.

http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_id=764&p_table=NEWS_RELEASES

/ Requirement for Wind Speed Indicators on Cranes
I know of big blue and i read the section in the osha regs you quoted, it does not apply to crawler or rt cranes. I worked a job where big blue made a couple picks in the 80s (nuke plant).

/ Requirement for Wind Speed Indicators on Cranes #5  
I know of big blue and i read the section in the osha regs you quoted, it does not apply to crawler or rt cranes. I worked a job where big blue made a couple picks in the 80s (nuke plant).

I believe they are covered, but you are correct the section sited was for tower cranes.

/ Requirement for Wind Speed Indicators on Cranes #6  
Hey Jas,
Sweet looking Multi you have! I yearn over a Pike's Peak edition but it's not in the cards.

SOrry I can't help with the wind speed indicators.

/ Requirement for Wind Speed Indicators on Cranes #7  
Hey Jas,
Sweet looking Multi you have! I yearn over a Pike's Peak edition but it's not in the cards.

SOrry I can't help with the wind speed indicators.

I love adventure bikes, my current ride though is a BMW F650GS, have also owned a XR650L among other bikes. I hope to have my next be the Yamaha Super Tenere or the Liquid cooled 1200GS. These will be a couple of years off, I do love the Ducati and the Triumph tigers.

Too many motorcycles and so little time and money.

/ Requirement for Wind Speed Indicators on Cranes #8  
Too many motorcycles and so little time and money.

I couldn't have said it better myself! The new KTM 1190 will be out later this year too, that will be interesting to see how it compares to the GS and Super Tenure. I'll shoot you a PM, sorry for the thread derail, I couldn't help myself. :D