Research for late fall maybe next year....ZTR experience

/ Research for late fall maybe next year....ZTR experience #1  

YLee Kioti

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti NX4510HST
With max budget of 5k been looking at Ferris, Cub Cadet and eXmark ZTR mowers, 48 to 50 inch deck.

The only Ferris in my budget was a 400S 48" cut....not ruled out yet....(B&S engine while company is under a Chapter 11 yech)

Cub Cadet ZT2 50" or ZT54 both kawasaki engines.....watched video of 2800 hydro oil change...painful, not well thought out like the units landscapers use....so any experience on this?

eXmark Quest 50" looked like a keeper...but one glaring detail got my attention...it says it has a riveted frame NOT welded. I did email them about it, so will be waiting for a response. Engine looks to be a back engineered Kawasaki engine...Hmm...
So here's where I lean on the community to share their good/bad experiences. I have a CC dealer 35 miles away. A eXmark dealer 3/4 mile away, and Ferris dealer 30 miles away. So distance not an issue. (hey my Kioti dealer is 60 miles...lol)

Planned use: front 2 acres which has a several shallow but large dips. Hence no large 60" deck which I've read will scalp the areas. About 30% or so is Bermuda, the coastal is gaining coverage as I spray crab grass and woody weeds. Once house is complete this fall, the idea of zipping along to groom 2 acres instead of chugging along with a shredder appeals to me as a time saver. Plus I can cut around the fruit trees and crepe myrtles much easier then with a shredder.

OK gang have at it, let'r rip...!....heh....

Last edited:
   / Research for late fall maybe next year....ZTR experience #2  
I'd be looking at a good used true commercial ZTR. If the ride of the Ferris is not necessary Scag Turf Tiger or Cheetah

/ Research for late fall maybe next year....ZTR experience #3  
I have exmark pioneer (?) s-deck 48 inch with Kawasaki engine. Almost 400 hours problem free except for battery a deck belt and I broke the rubber deflector the v first 5? Hours I had it. Deck is welded and the mower is made to cut 8 hours a day all day. Gets my vote if it’s in your budget.

/ Research for late fall maybe next year....ZTR experience
400 hours lots of seat time thanks for the info.....!

/ Research for late fall maybe next year....ZTR experience #5  
You mentioned the B&S bankruptcy - Keep in mind that B&S is more than engines. They also own Ferris, Simplicity, Snapper and many other lawn and garden brands.

/ Research for late fall maybe next year....ZTR experience #6  
On my 3 1/2 acres in WV, I had a Country Clipper 50" and loved it. It was "grass" (ex-pasture), we had several large trees as well as a 12-tree fruit orchard.
The Country Clipper has a single joystick control instead of the two handles. I found it fun to "fly" around the yard. (I flew in the Navy so....).
The cut was excellent and it held up very well. Ran it for 8 years before I sold the property. Sold the mower to my neighbor's kid who wanted to start a mowing business.

/ Research for late fall maybe next year....ZTR experience
Since my first post it has been quite the journey.....like tractors it seems to come down also to dealer support and distance.........I've looked at the country clipper, dealer support about 60+ miles in the opposite direction of Kioti support. Remind me how I said it don' matter, sigh I'll be eating my own words soon.....lol.

Yeah B&S makes more then motors and having said, that the entire company will suffer quality to make up for the restructure. This will not immediately be obvious.
We've all been living through this for decades since the term 'poison pill' was first used and Romney was/still is a venture/vulture destroying companies.

Seems Hustler also suffered some quality issues when it dipped its toes into the blue big box store for two years. So now it is recovering? No 2020 model reviews of much quality to make a decision. Toro Titan dealer 45 miles away via foogle maps but over 75 minutes away due to traffic and narrow road conditions. Yeah foogle not as smart as they think....

Tried to give Dixie Chopper a chance but their web site was so frustrating with so little info on price and specs I said.....nah...done.....they can keep their ten year old webmaster....

So far after hours of videos, reviews good and bad.......looks like maybe eXmark Radius, or Ariens Apex model.

We'll see this fall. House exterior needs stone work this week. So landscaping and drainage run off can then start. Winter Rye will be seeded and then I can make my case with the CFO....heh......see other thread...about.....'she said I wuz rights'.......

/ Research for late fall maybe next year....ZTR experience #8  
I will also be in the market for a ZT next year...if finances allow. My fiancé and a I test drove a Country Clipper and loved the joy stick control. We also liked the tilt up deck for ease of maintenance. Our dealer is an Amish operation about 40 miles away with a great reputation. So we are leaning that way but the post from WVBill seems the only one I have seen about Country Clipper on this site.

/ Research for late fall maybe next year....ZTR experience #9  
A very important issue is how easy is it to get at the mower blades. When we lived in NJ, I used a Scag ZTR to mow the church's 5 acre lawn there in Whippany, NJ. On it, the entire 3 bladed deck could be raised with a hand crank using some sort of pulley arrangement. With it, I could stop, raise the deck and remove all 3 blades within about 5 minutes' time. There were through bolts holding the blades on. Same thing in reverse after taking them home to sharpen. About 5 minutes to put them back on and to lower the deck.

Saw some mentioning the joy stick control. The Scag's was using a wheel similar to a wheel in an airplane for the flaps (ailerons or some such) on the wings and the rudder. It was connected via a cable arrangement that rotated the wheel underneath the seat.

Ralph

/ Research for late fall maybe next year....ZTR experience #10  
Here is the advice from a 30 year veteran L&G mechanic, look for a used Scag or Hustler. Both get my vote above and beyond a Exmark, Ferris ect. The ride on them is much better, especially the Cheeta from Scag and any Hustler that has the optional Flex Forks on the front. A rough riding ZTR defeats the purpose, to be able to cut the yard faster, no to mention hard on the back and kidneys. Simplity and Ferris are the same basic machines other than the low end Simplicity, both are owned by B&S. Scag is commercial grade all the way, same for Hustler. I found Exmarks harder to work on and not as user friendly. Stay with Kawasaki engines if at all possible unless you find a steal on a Kubota ZD diesel powered ZTR. Keep in mind that most ZTR's are a bit of a fuel hog with high HP twin cylinder engines. So the ablity to move quickly makes up for the fuel usage. Exmarks are ok and if you find one for a good deal, go for it. I would personally avoid anything tied to B&S till this bankruptcy is over and the dust settles. You might end up with an orphan machine with poor parts support. If I personally had the yard for a ZTR, it would be a Kubota ZD with the diesel. Their front axle is set up to be used as a jack to raise the machine up so you can clean the deck and change/sharpen the blades without the need for anything else. The crank handle is under the nose plate. The parts and logistical support for Kubota, Hustler and Scag are second to non, both in dealerships and online parts support. Good luck on your hunt! Make sure to post up pics when you get your new mower! Mike