Chipper Researching best qualitry wood chipper for a Kubota BX23S, suggestions please

/ Researching best qualitry wood chipper for a Kubota BX23S, suggestions please
Erik M - that is impressive, and I even like the colour. You make a lot of good points also ... ease of assembly and operation, hydraulic, reverse feed, feed rate control, cost and capability. Woodland Mills is a reputable machine for sure.

My chipper requirement is in the 3-4 inch range as a maximum. Everything else is firewood.

I'm sure that your research also compared the Tow behind versions vs. PTO driven - how do you like the PTO driven choice? That is still one of my biggest decisions as I just can't decide yet, what is the most convenient method / style for my use. That noted, this is not a machine that has any need to be off the property, so road travel is not really a consideration.

Do you recall who they use for shipping the unit ? Thank you.

Last edited:
   / Researching best qualitry wood chipper for a Kubota BX23S, suggestions please #42  
S chicken,

Maybe the volume of the tree work/clean up could affect your decision. I have both a standalone MacKissic (SC1650 HTE) chipper/shredder as well as a Woodland Mills WC68 PTO driven unit.

I use both based on the job at hand and both are quality machines with good customer support direct from the manufacturer.

I find that many times, I just have some yard clean up to do with a variety of small stuff to shred (even leaves etc) and a few larger limbs (less than 4 inches). Garden debris/yard debris/bush trimmings and small stuff doesn't feed well in the larger machine and certainly don't make "chips".

For larger volumes of work I only use the WC68 PTO Chipper.....but still need the "Burn Pile" now and then.

Cheers,
Mike

/ Researching best qualitry wood chipper for a Kubota BX23S, suggestions please #43  
Erik M - that is impressive, and I even like the colour. You make a lot of good points also ... ease of assembly and operation, hydraulic, reverse feed, feed rate control, cost and capability. Woodland Mills is a reputable machine for sure.

My chipper requirement is in the 3-4 inch range as a maximum. Everything else is firewood.

I'm sure that your research also compared the Tow behind versions vs. PTO driven - how do you like the PTO driven choice? That is still one of my biggest decisions as I just can't decide yet, what is the most convenient method / style for my use. That noted, this is not a machine that has any need to be off the property, so road travel is not really a consideration.

Do you recall who they use for shipping the unit ? Thank you.
My chipper was shipped by Day & Ross. I never considered the tow behind unit as I as I wanted to use it only on my property and the torque and power available from the diesel driven PTO was much more efficient than having another small gasoline motor to maintain. I bought a trailer hitch mount with my chipper so that I can pull a trailer along with the tractor and chipper To collect firewood or chips as needed.

/ Researching best qualitry wood chipper for a Kubota BX23S, suggestions please #44  
Good Morning,

Lately my interests have turned to yard clean-up and planning the purchase of a decent wood chipper that my BX23S can manage. I'd like some ideas from those that have experience and knowledge of chippers.

- my needs are for something that will handle 3-4 inch trees / limbs, anything with a larger diameter, would become firewood
- I have watched dozens of you-tube videos that feature wood chippers. Some have been very informative ... Messicks, Tractor Time with Tim, Landpride videos etc.
- prefer PTO driven unit, ... I think this is an advantage, but perhaps a completely separate unit is an option
- I am not brand loyal for this attachment, I just want something that will do the job effectively without killing the tractor

thanks for any suggestions.

happy Sunday
Last fall, we bought a WM WC46 that does exactly what you want. Put the base of a 4 inch tree into its horizontal chute, and it will chew the whole thing up.

The 2025R with 24.5 engine hp loafs along with the chipper.

Thanks guys

/ Researching best qualitry wood chipper for a Kubota BX23S, suggestions please #46  
Ha ha... nice retort. Chippers take extensive resources to manufacture to sit most of the time, use fossil fuels, and pollute the air. One might argue they make a larger carbon footprint than an occasional personal burn pile. :confused3: :drink:
Ya right. I use mine 2-3 days a week for about 4 months. I cause a heck of a lot less air fouling than when I used to burn my piles.

also here in Idaho, they have already closed open burning. But I can chip to my hearts content.

my chipper makes great chips. Only occasional long strands. I line my trails with the chips. Its almost as easy as it was when I burned. Now I can chip right where the wood is located, and don’t have to haul everything out to an open burn area. I can create a large pile of chips in about 1 to 1-1/2 hours. Mind you they are not wood shavings that I can use with the horses, but make great trail beds. Wife uses them in landscape also

the chipper I have now is a Jimna 6 with geared feeder. I sharpened the roller teeth years ago and that has helped. I used to use it on my JD870 which was a 28HP tractor and it worked fine.

i am ordering a Woodmaxx mx88 feeder, but am #275 on the list. Probably won’t see it until December. The Jimna works great, but requires 2 hours and 2 people to,swap out chipper knives and anvil. The Woodmaxx Is a clamshell design for easy knife swapping. I am also looking forward to having adjustable I feed and reverse feed option. I chip up to 6 inch older wood that is past its prime for firewood. Lots of it. And a lot of knarley pine branches. I now have about 20 hours on this new set of knives. Still cutting good. I have a bunch of other knives out being sharpened in Spokane. When I finally get the new chipper, I plan on ordering 4 sets of blades and anvils. Those things arnt cheap, but a sharpen blade sure makes the chore easier.

Attachments

• D1677178-3C26-4EE7-99AA-0E3090BFE355.jpeg
    D1677178-3C26-4EE7-99AA-0E3090BFE355.jpeg
    522.5 KB · Views: 76
  • 6E03610D-5699-4827-A31D-C47DFBAE99C8.jpeg
    6E03610D-5699-4827-A31D-C47DFBAE99C8.jpeg
    381.7 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
   / Researching best qualitry wood chipper for a Kubota BX23S, suggestions please #47  
I can buy a mountain of wood chips for the money and time you’ll spend chipping. Even then wood chippers make long stringy chips that aren’t good for much.
No they don’t make long chips, at least mine doesn’t. Only when the blades are dull or the gap between blades and anvil is too large. I don’t use my chips in the stalls, but make great trail bed.

Attachments

• 346FD0E2-866A-4C92-8BF3-140D73A2F469.jpeg
    346FD0E2-866A-4C92-8BF3-140D73A2F469.jpeg
    518.6 KB · Views: 57
I think that I will be able to use a chipper regularly on the property to keep things under contol. Great results grsthegreat, thanks for sharing the photos

Last edited:
   / Researching best qualitry wood chipper for a Kubota BX23S, suggestions please #49  
No they don’t make long chips, at least mine doesn’t. Only when the blades are dull or the gap between blades and anvil is too large. I don’t use my chips in the stalls, but make great trail bed.

It’s probably the difference in a wimpy chipper and a big one. The utility company chippers I’ve seen are spitting out 6” long pieces.

/ Researching best qualitry wood chipper for a Kubota BX23S, suggestions please #50  
The power company sends around a hired crew every three or four years. They have a really big, self contained chipper. It DOES put out much larger chips than my Wallenstein. Thing is - smaller chipper or larger chipper - it will only handle as big a tree/limb as the workers can manhandle. I've never seen a chipper with a power winch around here.

Cut a regular sized playing card - cut it into eight equal pieces. That's the biggest chip mine will put out.