Restoring antique plow - need to remove rusted nuts/bolts - how much heat?

/ Restoring antique plow - need to remove rusted nuts/bolts - how much heat? #1  

lhfarm

Veteran Member
Tractor
NH TC40DA
I don't own or need a full cutting torch set. Will the small Benzomatic Brazing Torch type kits (w/ oxygen) produce enough heat to get the nuts red hot? If so, any recommendations on a kit?

Thanks

/ Restoring antique plow - need to remove rusted nuts/bolts - how much heat? #2  
MAPP gas with 02 will get nuts red hot, but may take a while depwnding on torch tip size vs nut size.

Have you considered an induction coil?

/ Restoring antique plow - need to remove rusted nuts/bolts - how much heat? #3  
Have you tried soaking with penetrating oil? Kano Kroil is a good one, soak it, come back and soak it again, and then again, over several days. Once you break the bolt or nut loose you can usually spin it the rest of the way off by hand. Great stuff.

/ Restoring antique plow - need to remove rusted nuts/bolts - how much heat? #4  
Agree with penetrating oil 1st. And u dont always need red hot. Many times my little propane torch works.

/ Restoring antique plow - need to remove rusted nuts/bolts - how much heat? #5  
Kroil, or PB blaster first, then the blue wrench

/ Restoring antique plow - need to remove rusted nuts/bolts - how much heat? #6  
The idea behind heating something is to expand it enough to move it. More heat may not help. You do want the nut warmed and expanded, before the bolt can. Does that make sense?

/ Restoring antique plow - need to remove rusted nuts/bolts - how much heat? #7  
A propane torch won't get the bolt hot enough to do any good. If penetrating oil and / or an impact wrench won't do the job, shear off the nut or bolt head with a chisel and punch out the bolt. Use care not to damage the surface.

/ Restoring antique plow - need to remove rusted nuts/bolts - how much heat? #8  
For heating bolts, consider getting a Bolt Buster. It's an induction heater that provides isolated and concentrated heating of the bolt or nut, and doesn't damage the surrounding surfaces. I bought one for a project this summer and don't think I'll ever heat a bolt with a torch again. I absolutely love it. A bit pricey, but very worth it.

/ Restoring antique plow - need to remove rusted nuts/bolts - how much heat? #9  
For heating bolts, consider getting a Bolt Buster. It's an induction heater that provides isolated and concentrated heating of the bolt or nut, and doesn't damage the surrounding surfaces. It will heat a 7/8" bolt or nut to red hot in 30-60 seconds. I bought one for a project this summer and don't think I'll ever heat a bolt with a torch again. I absolutely love it. A bit pricey, but very worth it.

/ Restoring antique plow - need to remove rusted nuts/bolts - how much heat? #10  
Over the years I have come to conclusion propane torch is best uses for copper plumbing... For fabrication and restoration just a small oxy/acet torch (Victor 100 series -minimal) is best...