Retirement thoughts Past Present Future

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #1,541  
Retired at 54. Still comfortable.
56 for me with a wad in my 401 among other things and no, I'm not sharing with anyone. 2 of my properties just appraised at 198K each and the 3ed one at 175 and all paid for too. Just booked a November guaranteed B&C Elk hunt in NM for 15 grand (chump change). Living large...

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #1,543  
I walked at 45, approaching 8 years of retirement.
I highly recommend it😬

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #1,547  
I walked a 48... sort of. I'm self-employed now, starting a business that will keep me busy part-time from now until whenever. Time to turn profit from startup costs will be more than 2 years, but it will continue generating profit for several years after I disconnect myself from primary involvement, 10-15 years from now. In the meantime, my workload is self-determined, no longer killing myself with long hours for "the man".

Last year's vacation (two weeks at the beach) was the first of my adult life, where I was able to enjoy a nice mix of working (for myself) before the rest of the family woke up each morning, and then unplug and enjoy free time the rest of the day. Looking to attempt longer vacations in coming years, as my kids are growing up quick, and I've missed too much of it already.

If you're in a situation of needing to find health insurance, or life insurance, look toward professional organizations. Most of them offer group plans for self-employed individuals, and since their members generally represent lower-risk groups, the rates can be better than you might find elsewhere. I can say for sure that IEEE does not require you to be an actual electrical engineer to join, most others I suspect are the same.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #1,548  
Hah....pension.

I think a lot of people think those are still viable options for the masses.
Sad but true, I was one of “The Old Timers” , The younger guys will have a hard time retiring young. They are under a “Hybrid 401” not a defined benefit plan like I have.

Mike

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #1,550  
Father of a friend has had his pensions disappear in the bankruptcies of several tech firms. Also had losses on stock options that had declined since he earned them. They live comfortably in retirement so so he must have socked away a good part of his high income while things were good.

An inlaw, not so fortunate. As I've mentioned here his pension disappeared in Delta's 'reorganization' so he transferred from station agent (40 hrs/week) to flight attendant (unpredictable hours and layovers) for the higher income he needed so he could retire decently. After that change he did ok, they've retired to a decent house on a lake with his boat out front. And near-zero cost to take his wife on travel worldwide whenever they wish. They really do the fabled 'go to Paris for a fancy dinner' type of trip.

Life is strange.