Retirement thoughts Past Present Future

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #1  

Gale Hawkins

Super Star Member
Tractor
1948 Allis Chambers Model B 1976 265 MF / 1983 JD 310B Backhoe / 1966 Ford 3000 Diesel / 1980 3600 Diesel
Retirement means many different things depending on one's age, health and country.

At the age of 71 clearly it should be serious subject for the 18-25 age group but that seldom happens. When I was a kid I thought living to be 33 would be a stretch. :)

When you run across related information please post a link.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #3  
Retirement means many different things depending on one's age, health and country.

At the age of 71 clearly it should be serious subject for the 18-25 age group but that seldom happens. When I was a kid I thought living to be 33 would be a stretch. :)

When you run across related information please post a link.

I already got screwed by my parents' generation when they raised retirement age from 65-67 back in 1983 because they couldn't manage their finances and refused to fund the promises that they made. Thanks old people. It's your generation that screwed things up. So I don't want to screw my kids as well. Fix the problem. Don't kick the can down the road.

At the very least, make it a tiered increase in age, and don't start the tier for anyone that's already been born. I had the additional 2 years added to me when I was already 22 years old. So, as a young adult, I got screwed by a majority of elderly adults. Thanks.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #4  
Retirement at 55 meant sacrifices. I was once told that for every year before 65 that you retire you gain 5 years. I’m not sure if that is true, ask me again in 30 years, I hope.

I lived my retirement financial lifestyle 2 years before retiring. I proved I could live on the money and allowed me to pay off all debt by 55. I am definitely living my dreams.

Retirement is a state of mind. If you have a mind to you can.

Carpe diem!

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #5  
We became debt free 9 years ago. I just turned 45 yesterday. I have a goal to be able to retire at 55. Whether I exercise that option, is another question. It’s difficult to leave a job that you work 12 days per month. Who knows?

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #6  
Who wants to retire? My job is too fun to retire from! Not even close, anyway.
When I retire, I’ll be horizontal in a field, work boots laced, ready for my Lord.
Rocking chair be damned! :)

Now….about those knee replacements…..

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #7  
When I retire, I’ll be horizontal in a field, work boots laced, ready for my Lord.

When I croak, I hope it's in a nice warm bed, at night, in my sleep, when I'm well past 100. ;)

Probably not realistic, but I'd like to try.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #8  
It’s a sad truth that things like social security, health care, education and roads will always be “underfunded” and problematic. Those are proven issues that the government can use to rally us for votes and increased taxes. What would elections sound like without those issues?

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #9  

Hopefully not face down in the field is all I care about.

I think a big problem with folks my age is they've avoided ever doing anything hard with their body so they just move less and less...eventually can't. Folks that do hard things seem to be able to continue doing them, at least that's what I keep telling myself! Besides, it's fun.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #10  
It’s a sad truth that things like social security, health care, education and roads will always be “underfunded” and problematic. Those are proven issues that the government can use to rally us for votes and increased taxes. What would elections sound like without those issues?
Who wants to have a rally for increased taxes?