Retirement thoughts Past Present Future

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #1,021  
Dementia is not necessarily fatal. My mother's sister had Alzheimer's and was in a nursing home for seven years. The whole time she was in fear, because she did not know who she was, where she was, or recognize any family. We all breathed a sigh of relief when she finally died.

I'm fortunate that I'm showing no sign of senility. My mother retained all her faculties until she died at 95. She decided when she was done, and refused to let them replace the battery in her pacemaker.

That brings up another concern. A pacemaker will keep your heart beating as long as there is a muscle there. The condition of the rest of your body doesn't matter. I understand it's legal to turn off a pacemaker now, but when my mother died, her only option was to let it run down.

I have a friend who spent 20 years as a hospice nurse. She says the 70s are our last good decade. After that it's a slow decline into debility and death, though some last longer than others. My dad died at 80 from lung cancer - 65 years of Camel straights - but Mom ran the riding mower and did the lower beds until she was 90. After that she hired yard work and had to give up driving because she was not safe on the road. I hope to manage my exit as gracefully as she did.

I think a real challenge for the end of retirement is that, if we live long enough, we will outlive our generation. I saw it happen with my grandfather, who lived to 98, and my mother, who lived to 95. Isolation is a real problem, particularly if you don't have family close. A piece of advice you don't hear often is to cultivate younger friends and neighbors, who might outlive you. 2020 was a tough year, because I lost five close friends that year, all of them younger than me. My mother lost three different best friends in her 80s. My grandfather just became withdrawn and isolated, too deaf to carry on conversations and too blind to read newspapers or books.

End of life is why I am so hopeful that self-driving cars will become available. I'm planning for there to be enough left in the piggy bank to buy one. Being unable to drive would make life in the country untenable.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future
#1,022  
Lot of stuff to think about in these posts.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #1,023  
   / Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #1,024  
Spending time in Skilled Nursing certainly is eye opening as one with little previous exposure.

I learned some have been there for years and some have involved family and others have family involved only to the point of paying the monthly cost with zero interaction.

Some really brighten up the place especially if able to navigate and very friendly to boot even if it is only their door is open and always a smile and wave passing.

I did learn staff turnover is very high and many hospitals have divested as the industry by and large strugggles.

My take aways so far is having regular visitors is a huge plus all around. Patient looks forward and staff knows.

The second is try to be helpful as a patient… I knew a salty old guy with few friends and his language was enough to scare off his young attendants… eventually was able to land a spot at the VA and believe it or not it was the best thing because he still respected the command structure and having an officer tell him to knock it off resonated… it really was amazing jus how much he shaped up.

#1,025  
In this time when 0% of web info can be taken blindly as valid data I am going to keep an eye on this subject.

#1,026  
Raoul Pal can be wrong like anyone can be wrong about factors impacting retirement. I like how he spells out his data and logic making eazy to modify his thoughts on the fly as time passes.

#1,027  
Keeping those SS payments coming can be an ongoing effort so I am practicing for my upcoming annual exam in August. Man where did the last 10 months go. :)

Getting off sugar and grains again is improving my balance again. During long Covid I didn't remember to eat right.in my case.

Last edited:
   / Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #1,028  
Keeping those SS payments coming can be an ongoing effort so I am practicing for my upcoming annual exam in August. Man where did the last 10 months go. :)

Getting off sugar and grains again is improving my balance again. During long Covid I didn't remember to eat right.in my case.
Wow, who would think that people who didn't fall down would be likely to live longer?
How about a study of people who walk in front of speeding cars versus those who don't?

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #1,029  
Spending time in Skilled Nursing certainly is eye opening as one with little previous exposure.

I learned some have been there for years and some have involved family and others have family involved only to the point of paying the monthly cost with zero interaction.

Some really brighten up the place especially if able to navigate and very friendly to boot even if it is only their door is open and always a smile and wave passing.

I did learn staff turnover is very high and many hospitals have divested as the industry by and large strugggles.

My take aways so far is having regular visitors is a huge plus all around. Patient looks forward and staff knows.

The second is try to be helpful as a patient… I knew a salty old guy with few friends and his language was enough to scare off his young attendants… eventually was able to land a spot at the VA and believe it or not it was the best thing because he still respected the command structure and having an officer tell him to knock it off resonated… it really was amazing jus how much he shaped up.
A family member lived for years in a nursing home. Might have been a decade or so, and was not only the oldest person in the home, but also the person who had lived in the home the longest.

A daughter of the family member lived nearby and visited the home at least daily. Staff did not know when the visit would happen, and one evening, the daughter found staff laying on a couch after falling asleep while watching TV. :eek: Food was pretty bad because the staff was feeding the patients food like chicken nuggets that the patients had never eaten. The patients wanted real chicken, not processed chicken bits and fat made to look like a dinosaur. 🤬 The patients were simply not eating because they did not like the food and sometimes did not recognize what was on the plate was food. The daughter nagged the manager to make changes and they did.

The daughter had more experience with the place, it's patients, management and staff than anyone else. She really made sure her mother was getting proper treatment but it was a job that took time and effort. Staff turn over was high. The manager was fired for some reason even though she had improved the nursing home. :unsure:

We had another family member who was in a nursing home for a short time before dying who was having multiple items of clothes stolen from him. 🤬

From a very young age, I can remember one family member saying they would never go into a nursing home. Many decades later, that family member was in decline. Had fallen and could not get up stage. It became time to go into a home and the doctor said so to the family member. The family member laughed at the doctor and said something to the effect of we shall see if that happens. It did not happen. The family member died at home a few days later. I think the family member said to themself that they have lived long enough, it was time to go, and they were NOT going into a home. They did not. They died in their home.

I think I posted this link before,
, which is very interesting about dying. The video talks about the four way people die. One way is the quick death, which is what people want, but which seldom happens. The other three ways of dying are slow declines in health which is how most people die and how people do NOT want go. One needs to realize this, make legal plans to handle this decline as best one can, talk with family, if family is available, about one's wishes, and hopefully, have the finances in retirement to handle the eventualities.

Later,
Dan

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #1,030  
Yes… it is something we all face.

I think the most difficult is Alzheimer and physically frail.

Ive been around a lot of infirmed mentally sharp people and and being able to understand communicate goes a long way helping those around you.