Retirement thoughts Past Present Future

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #1,491  
80 percent cash!!! I think she is sharking, waiting for a big dip.
Mine is 100%… and the total is still less than what she is making in interest. ;) when I hit my savings goal, sometime in June I will start putting money elsewhere.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #1,492  
I’ve kept this in mind going through life…..
“Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the
intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well
preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body
thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming
“WOO HOO what a ride!”
I've lived that my whole life. I'm way too young to be this old. :cool:

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #1,493  
I'm retired military as well. Thank you for your service.

Curious how you got into the military at age 16?

One of the best, if not the very best, benefits of Military Retirement is the medical coverage it offers.
My wife is in the process of hiring on with the VA as an LPN. She's going to take a pretty big pay cut but she will be eligible for a pension someday if she sticks it out.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #1,494  
My wife is in the process of hiring on with the VA as an LPN. She's going to take a pretty big pay cut but she will be eligible for a pension someday if she sticks it out.
I was Drafted at 19. With some short gaps I made a career of it. I actually got my "Twenty Year Letter" in the mail before I realized I was actually building a career. :)

Thank your wife for the work she will be doing with VA.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #1,495  
I’ve kept this in mind going through life…..
“Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the
intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well
preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body
thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming
“WOO HOO what a ride!”
There are advantages to being well preserved. I guess I'm a super ager. At 75, most people peg me in my 50s. The strong, athletic body is still with me. I am getting ready for a new aortic valve, which is not major surgery any more. The cute little cardiac surgeon told me my arteries are "beautiful." Her word. I've been moderate but not teetotal my whole life, and love my bacon. My big complaints are being hard of hearing and I can't see squat without my glasses any more. Also, everyone my age acts like they are walking through molasses. My wife doesn't need a wheelchair, but I have thought about putting her on roller skates so I could tow her along at a normal walking pace.

I may make 100. One grandfather died at 98, in the '60s when medicine was stone age. The other died in an accident. My dad died at 80, but that was his own fault. 65 years of Camel Straights did him in. My mother lived to 95. I'm being careful with my finances. If I have another quarter century left, I'm going to see the SS trust fund exhausted.

New heart valve in two weeks, then I can go back to splitting firewood.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #1,496  
There are advantages to being well preserved. I guess I'm a super ager. At 75, most people peg me in my 50s. The strong, athletic body is still with me. I am getting ready for a new aortic valve, which is not major surgery any more. The cute little cardiac surgeon told me my arteries are "beautiful." Her word. I've been moderate but not teetotal my whole life, and love my bacon. My big complaints are being hard of hearing and I can't see squat without my glasses any more. Also, everyone my age acts like they are walking through molasses. My wife doesn't need a wheelchair, but I have thought about putting her on roller skates so I could tow her along at a normal walking pace.

I may make 100. One grandfather died at 98, in the '60s when medicine was stone age. The other died in an accident. My dad died at 80, but that was his own fault. 65 years of Camel Straights did him in. My mother lived to 95. I'm being careful with my finances. If I have another quarter century left, I'm going to see the SS trust fund exhausted.

New heart valve in two weeks, then I can go back to splitting firewood.
Wishing you the best outcome for your surgery Larry.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #1,497  
Wishing you the best outcome for your surgery Larry.
The new tech is amazing. They don't interfere with the heart at all. They slide a spring loaded valve up the femoral artery and pop it open. It spreads the old valve and clamps onto it. The new valve is hydraulic just like the old one. One night in the hospital just for observation, 48 hours of restricted activity, and then I can go back to my life.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #1,500  
My wife is in the process of hiring on with the VA as an LPN.

I wish the VA would hire more people to answer their phones and make appointments. I've carried a VA medical card for 6 years now, yet I've never been able to make an appointment. The VA sends me periodic emails asking me to call their number and make an appointment...but every time I do, the phone rings nonstop and finally a message comes on that tells me to try later because they are too busy to answer the phone.

I have a friend, a retired Marine, who has the same problem. He solves it by going by the local VA medical center and claiming he is having chest pains. They get him right in and while in there he can make an appointment for whatever else ails him.

I explain the above process to anyone I hear advocating for the Feds to take over health care in this country.