Retirement thoughts Past Present Future

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #2,321  
795A1496-7AF2-469D-BBAE-80EC36827D69.jpeg

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #2,322  
I wonder what are the chances I can "dream" up an SSN that doesn't already belong to someone else?

If it does belong to someone else, that person is going to have serious issues with IRS.

So why don't we just create a system where illegal immigrants are minimized to an infinitely small number?
Many employers use Social Security’s online E-Verify system as a primary screen for potential new hires. IIRC it verifies and matches names with valid existing social security numbers. So making up a random # won’t fly.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #2,325  
We are very optimistic for our younger family members. All have good educations, job experiences, and now job offers with better pay than my wife and I. I'm thankful for that.
That describes my family. We just had a great Easter/ family birthdays get-together this weekend. Cheerful chaos with both daughters and their families staying over including a 2 year old and a new baby. 'Welcome to Chaos Manor'!

But then I think about the homeless camps, and people working but living in their cars that I see in the rest stops, and wonder how anyone got that badly excluded from America's general prosperity.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #2,326  
Tupperware may go bankrupt. It's a changing and changed world.
But there will always be Corelle.

Timeless design, indestructible, so much in circulation that examples are sure to to interest archaeologists in the far distant future. If they aren't still in use then! :)

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #2,327  
But then I think about the homeless camps, and people working but living in their cars that I see in the rest stops, and wonder how anyone got that badly excluded from America's general prosperity.
Maybe in California they are "excluded". In Missouri they do it to themselves.

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #2,328  
That describes my family. We just had a great Easter/ family birthdays get-together this weekend. Cheerful chaos with both daughters and their families staying over including a 2 year old and a new baby. 'Welcome to Chaos Manor'!

Sounds like fun. On Easter we usually get up early, the little kids run and check the Easter baskets, we eat breakfast, get dressed up for church, then head over to Grandma's after services and/or festivities at the church. Usually eat around 2, then around 4-5 head to the cemeteries to visit our relatives' graves. Leave some cut flower, and stick in some artificial ones as well. The little kids are now adults, so they don't get up as early anymore. No grandkids as of yet. Maybe in the future.

When I was a kid in the 60s, we lived near the county home. It was full of people that either had too poor of health and no money or family to take care of them, or mental problems that weren't severe enough to be locked up. My mom had us and many of the neighborhood kids do volunteer work over there as we grew up. There were also people living in the woods occasionally. That home is now in the process of closing, or being sold to a not for profit to try and keep it going. The county can't afford it anymore. There aren't too many left in the state. There's several homeless shelters here in town. One is about 3/4 of a mile from our house. My wife and I used to volunteer at the local food bank in the evenings until COVID forced them to change hours. Once we retire, we'll continue with working there, but we have other ways of giving our time and money until that point.

We all know the saying... they're but for the grace.....

My father told me that during his time on the battlefields in the south pacific, he came to the realization that a lot of it just depends where you were born. You'd be fighting on the other side if you were born 'there', wherever that may be. Similar things can and do happen to people for no fault of their own for too many reasons to list. Even then, there are plenty that have come from good starts and fallen by the wayside.

In reality, all it takes is a whack on the head, a financial or health catastrophe, a birth defect, and it could be any one of us. Count your blessings. ;)

/ Retirement thoughts Past Present Future #2,330  
But there will always be Corelle.

Timeless design, indestructible, so much in circulation that examples are sure to to interest archaeologists in the far distant future. If they aren't still in use then! :)
We had a nice Corelle set when we got married. Eventually, the dishwasher powdered detergent ate the edges. Back when dishwashers were basically power washers in a box and you couldn't hold a conversation within 20' of them. o_O

Now we have some stoneware that my wife got at some antique store. It's probably service for 30. Big and small plates, cups, saucers, bowls, serving platters, serving bowls. Anytime we break one, she goes to the basement and pulls out another. I think she said she only paid about $65 for the whole thing. Boxes of that stuff. 🤣

Ever been to the Fiesta factory in Newell, WV?

Pretty fun side trip if you're in the area.