Riding mower deck wash port installed in 10 minutes

/ Riding mower deck wash port installed in 10 minutes #1  

jkk04

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 410 backhoe, MF 30 industrial tractor, IH TD-14 dozer, New Holland TZ24DA
Installed a deck wash port purchased from Amazon.
Needed a 5/8" drill bit and 24mm wrench socket for drilling the hole and tightening up.
It took less than 10 minutes.
It makes easy cleaning the deck
Jkk

11.jpg

/ Riding mower deck wash port installed in 10 minutes #2  
My mower deck had one when it was new 10 years ago. I tried it out after mowing and it made a huge mess in the yard beside the house. I spent 30 minutes raking it up, shoveling it into a wheelbarrow and dumping it at the side of the field. Then

I spent 10 minutes taking it off and plugging the hole with a shinny carriage bolt.

/ Riding mower deck wash port installed in 10 minutes #3  
My mower deck had one when it was new 10 years ago. I tried it out after mowing and it made a huge mess in the yard beside the house. I spent 30 minutes raking it up, shoveling it into a wheelbarrow and dumping it at the side of the field. Then

I spent 10 minutes taking it off and plugging the hole with a shinny carriage bolt.
Sounds like it did it’s job cleaning out your mowing deck.

/ Riding mower deck wash port installed in 10 minutes #4  
Sounds like it did it’s job cleaning out your mowing deck.
Actually, no it didn't, it blew off less than half of the clippings. All it did was make everything wet. The deck still had a lot of wet grass stuck to it. The next day, the garage floor was grass stained and the garage smelled like fermenting grass for 2 days.

/ Riding mower deck wash port installed in 10 minutes #7  
All that deck wash gimmick does is destroy your spindle bearings. Have it on both my zero turns. never use it.
and I have used it for 15 years at this point for every single mowing, original spindles. 0 grass.

/ Riding mower deck wash port installed in 10 minutes #8  
I have had a three older Deere riders.They didn't have wash ports. I would put them on car ramps or something to lift them up so I could hose them and putty knife them well. Most often after every use. Caked up mud and dirt are the culprits. When HF started selling different mower lifts, it was a gift from heaven. IMHO there is no replacement for hands-on investigative cleaning of the deck to keep the mower running right, cutting right.

Last year I bought a new X370 with the wash out port. yeah it works, but not as good as getting under it with the putty knife and or hose. My dad was a stickler for cleaning all his moving equipment. It looked sharp and was lots easier to pull maintenance on a clean machine. I took a gig once with a county parks department. We hosed everything down every day. It paid in dividends. Hose under neath and on top, got the stuff CLEANNNNN.

Last edited:
   / Riding mower deck wash port installed in 10 minutes #9  
I have never used one of these..nor have I ever had a deck rust out.

My current mower is a lower end bobcat and when ever I remove the blades I hardly see anything to even scrape off. Maybe it's the deck shape and blade tip speed?

/ Riding mower deck wash port installed in 10 minutes #10  
My JD X570 has a wash port. Tried it once - didn't do squat. Too much dirt combined with the grass clippings. Too many pocket gopher mounds.

I have dozens of chipper clipping mounds. I drive the mower up on top of a mound - lower the cutter deck - activate the blades - let the chipper clippings clean the underside of the deck. Works like a champ.