Right out of the oven

/ Right out of the oven #21  
No secrets here. I've been making bread for more than 40 years, and have tried many different methods and recipes. Several years ago I started learning about what some call "artisan" bread, and I found a book that explained the method in great detail in an easy to understand way. I'd suggest reading it and following the instructions to the letter:

https://www.amazon.ca/Flour-Water-Salt-Yeast-Fundamentals/dp/160774273X/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=forkish&qid=1608265580&sr=8-1

Late back to this thread. Thank you!

/ Right out of the oven #22  
FWIW, I bought a bread machine at a garage sale for $5. It makes fine bread, just in a funny shape and with a hole in the bottom.

Now I just used it to make the dough come together and first rise. (it's nice because it controls the heat. my house is usually too cool to proof) Then I dump it out on a floured board and punch it down and form it. My oven has a proof setting and when it's risen enough I change it to convection bake at 350 and wall-a, fresh bread in 30 minutes.

I used to make with 2/3 bread flour:1/3 rye flour but the stores no longer carry rye flour.

/ Right out of the oven
my house is usually too cool to proof).

Just a point on this: cooler temps will just require more time, your bread will still proof but much slower than in a warmer place. It will even work away while refrigerated, although much, much slower. Sometimes I'll use a heating pad on the lowest setting if I need things to move along a little quicker.

/ Right out of the oven #24  
Just a point on this: cooler temps will just require more time, your bread will still proof but much slower than in a warmer place. It will even work away while refrigerated, although much, much slower. Sometimes I'll use a heating pad on the lowest setting if I need things to move along a little quicker.

When I can't use the oven to proof I boil a cup of water in the microwave, leave the boiled water in it and use the micro as a proof box.

I've also read that proofing in the fridge will give more flavor to the eventual bread or dough.

I'm very happy; I just found 3 2lb bags of rye flour in a supermarket I don't usually shop.

/ Right out of the oven #25  
My Sweetie is a world class homemade break baker...

She also nurtures a yeast base sour dough starter we call "Fred Sourdough"... Fred lives fall, winter, spring in his jar on the kitchen counter.. The jar sits in a diner plate as he is known to try to crawl out of the jar at times.. Fred takes the summer off...

Fred is a bit of a high maintence rascal to live with.. He requires small but frequent feedings.. Stirring and other small attentions.. This is well worth is as he yields a VERY hearty Yukon style sourdough flavor.. Stand on his own, toe to toe, head and shoulders above any of the wimpy French style sourdoughs available..

One of my favorites is pancakes or waffles you can smell cooking through out the whole house.. And tea strong enough to float a spoon.. This good any time of the day...