Right to repair - we WIN!!

/ Right to repair - we WIN!! #61  
Government acts in lock-step with those that buy the politicians. It's the Big Guys. And the Big Guys who had substantial push were BIG farmers.

As RickB notes, "available" is a broad term. Expect things to be "available" at a very high price. There will be limited licensing to diagnostic equipment manufacturers (obviously there's the existing ones providing it to the factory and dealers); unlikely there's a stipulation that other vendors are allowed to seek licensing bids.

/ Right to repair - we WIN!! #62  
I think it is a win. For one thing, we don't know that the tools will be expensive. There are good reasons to make them reasonable.
Plus, I think if the manufacturers try to use high price to restrict making something "available" it would get knocked down pretty quickly in the courts. Too obvious, and my guess is that manufacturing ceos aren't dumb enough to try something so obvious.

It's possible that smarter companies are going to see that the "right to repair" is beginning to have all the aspects of a popular movement.
And if so, and if a company wants to make more money, the way to do so is to offer what the customers want, not fight with them about it.
Hopefully at least some manufacturers will do so and we will have a resurgence of manufacturing in the USA.

We hope,
rScotty

/ Right to repair - we WIN!! #63  
The first thing the customer will have to do is buy the protocol adapter in order to connect a laptop to the machine.
Dealers currently pay several hundred dollars for each configuration. How many will you need?
or pay 20 bux for the knockoff adapter. , but true, i only need the one for my machine. I"m cool with paying for it and having it. It would be different if dealers actually could fix things better...they simply can't. Dealers are part changers first and foremost...and rarely anything else these days.

/ Right to repair - we WIN!! #64  
When i worked on cars for a living I paid 6k for a used MODUS scanner and it paid itself back many times over. It might be expensive for home mechanics but at least it will open up the option for taking your John Deere to a independent shop. They usually charge less per hr and won't try to make the bill so large as to encourage you to just buy a new machines instead of fixing the old.(a ton of dealers do this)

Good tools are NOT inexpensive and a diagnostic scanner is no different. Sounds like alot of people want right to repair and free/cheap diagnostic equipment and manuals.

I'm guessing that eventually someone will come up with a AllData type site but for tractors.
Oh yes. How many Franklins in your wallet?
Blue Tooth OBD-2 scanners can be had for anywhere between $25 to $500 depending on features and goodies. @Fixastuff said he paid thousands for his back in the day. As with anything else, the cost will initially be outrageous, but through competition and improved production methods (and payback on investment) the cost will come down. It works to our advantage that this technology is already widely available for automotive use so it is not starting from scratch. It is likely going to be a software patch to the ECU to unlock it rather than different hardware anyway. It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

/ Right to repair - we WIN!! #65  
Government acts in lock-step with those that buy the politicians. It's the Big Guys. And the Big Guys who had substantial push were BIG farmers.

As RickB notes, "available" is a broad term. Expect things to be "available" at a very high price. There will be limited licensing to diagnostic equipment manufacturers (obviously there's the existing ones providing it to the factory and dealers); unlikely there's a stipulation that other vendors are allowed to seek licensing bids.
I expect it to follow the automotive example once the dust settles. Expensive initially, a premium paid to be one of the first adopters as is usual.

/ Right to repair - we WIN!! #66  
Fast forward a few years and ai bet code readers for tractors will be ay Harbor Freight just like they are for autos

/ Right to repair - we WIN!! #67  
I expect it to follow the automotive example once the dust settles. Expensive initially, a premium paid to be one of the first adopters as is usual.
Things will be a nightmare until the equipment manufactures standardize their connections like OBD systems. From the lawnmower side of things I have to deal with separate cables and software programs for Briggs, Honda, Kohler, Kawasaki, MTD, Husqvarna and some of the new systems on mowers also contain ISO-BUS so as of right now you may need a software package for the engine and another for the mower with that engine.

/ Right to repair - we WIN!! #69  
And as was pointed out early in this discussion, we will have to wait and see if the FTC can/will actually enforce their rulings. It could turn out like the Do Not Call list. :mad: Last time I listened, my phone is ringing off the hook.

/ Right to repair - we WIN!!
Do Not Call list isn't really comparable. FTC distributes a CD of "Do Not Call" numbers to "reputable" telemarketers (oxymoron if there ever was one) and if they catch one, they fine them. Unfortunately, these CDs, which contain known good numbers which they aren't supposed to call, wind up overseas and FTC can't call in a drone strike on violators. Also, now the marketers are "block dialing", Area code plus exchange, start with 0000 and run through 9999. I use "Nomorobo.com" (free) and that helps a little. Normally, I just don't answer numbers I don't recognize and have moved most of my communications to e-mail.

If the software is ridiculously priced, the FTC will "visit" it when people complain. In the meantime, hacked and cracked versions of it will appear pretty promptly, but you use them at your own risk.

I can also envision this conversation: "How much is your (purple) tractor?"

"$10,000 complete."

How much is the code reader? "Only $15,000."

How about the software to use the code reader? "Another $20,000."

"Bye, I'm going to buy a different color tractor."

It will definitely be a circus for a while but when the smoke clears, we are likely to be better off.

Best Regards,

Mike/Florida