Right to repair - we WIN!!

/ Right to repair - we WIN!! #71  
Blue Tooth OBD-2 scanners can be had for anywhere between $25 to $500 depending on features and goodies. @Fixastuff said he paid thousands for his back in the day. As with anything else, the cost will initially be outrageous, but through competition and improved production methods (and payback on investment) the cost will come down. It works to our advantage that this technology is already widely available for automotive use so it is not starting from scratch. It is likely going to be a software patch to the ECU to unlock it rather than different hardware anyway. It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out.
This was a full Snap On professional set up with domestic, asian and European keys. Had multimeter, occilliscope and could talk to airbag, body, abs, climate, etc modules. I'm not sure what the current Snap On equivalent is but it will still be a few thousand I'm guessing. Last I checked AutoZone/advance didn't sell any scanners with similar functions, many are just engine and abs code readers.

/ Right to repair - we WIN!! #72  
It reality what does it mean? Do they have to make the diagnostic software available?
They needn't give you anything for free, that's for sure. We used to sell the factory manuals for certain motor vehicles. They cost in the hundreds back in the day, hence the Haynes and Chilton manuals.
I bought a service manual for a certain electronic device, and it was over $400. It did come with schematics, and one repair could pay for it, but most Mahindra owners won't pay that, for example. I would.

/ Right to repair - we WIN!! #73  
How much is the code reader? "Only $15,000."

How about the software to use the code reader? "Another $20,000."
As long as we are all talking about the same things. Most of us on here wold be perfectly happy to drop 25-100 bucks for a code reader that tells us what the "problem" is which would at least tell us where to start looking. They could actually have the tractor display the codes on the dash if they want to demonstrate good faith compliance to the FTC. They could actually do that now to demonstrate good faith to their customers. If one does it, they will all have to do it.

If you are talking about the dongle and software to actually get into the program via laptop like "Big Chief and Murder Nova" then you are talking about thousands of dollars, no doubt, especially with licensing. I would expect there to be government licensing in addition to the software license to enforce emission control regulations. This would keep it out of the hands of the owners, only shops could afford it and they would face stiff penalties for doctoring the performance in ways that defeat the green agenda. This is only my opinion.

/ Right to repair - we WIN!! #74  
or pay 20 bux for the knockoff adapter. , but true, i only need the one for my machine. I"m cool with paying for it and having it. It would be different if dealers actually could fix things better...they simply can't. Dealers are part changers first and foremost...and rarely anything else these days.
Got a source for that $20 adapter?

/ Right to repair - we WIN!! #75  
Caterpillar has sold it's diagnostic hardware and software for a long time. It's all proprietary. You should check out the prices.

/ Right to repair - we WIN!! #76  
Probably, but they will charge more for the software than the price for a new tractor.
All it has to do is hit the market and it will be available from places besides JD or whatever manufacturer.

/ Right to repair - we WIN!! #77  
Hey Mr. Dealer Shop guy .....

Suppose us weenie small time owners needing to dig a hole or mow our lawns could diagnose our own little stuff, come to you to buy parts but not tie up your tech time and shop floor square footage. That would leave you to handle the bigger, more lucrative and more time dependent customers needing to plant or harvest crops.

How would that work out for your bottom line?

/ Right to repair - we WIN!! #78  
My Toolcat gives any service codes just by pressing a couple buttons. Then, you look up the codes in the service manual, diagnose the problem, repair it if you can. There are about 340 different codes in the book and sometimes multiple codes come up at one time. Even with the service codes, dealers sometimes can't even find the problem for a while. Tractors could also have the on-board ECM and sensors to do this but it comes with a co$t.

/ Right to repair - we WIN!! #79  
Coming to this with my experience working for a vehicle diagnostic tool manufacturer, the Toolcat solution is what we tractor owners should push to have: a diagnostic trouble code displayed on the instrument cluster. The ECU already knows and has stored the code. All that is needed is for it to be displayed.

If there are diagnostic processes that the ECU can execute, the instrument cluster should be built to allow a maintenance mode which enables these for troubleshooting, calibration, and so on.

Adding such will increase the cost of the machine, but would be a good compromise until such time as a unifying diagnostic standard exists for all ag machines.

/ Right to repair - we WIN!! #80  
What I'm reading is they have to make parts available as well as diagnostic software and manuals. If they don't they are looking at violations of the Sherman Anti-Trust act (and worse).

Obviously, this is a developing story, but it threatens to be verrrry interesting ;-)

Best Regards,

Mike/Florida

Most tractor manufacturers already make parts and Service Manuals available to all owners for purchase. Indeed, service manuals have always had a parts number assigned, and you just order the hard copy service manual no different than any other part. Diagnostic software will most probably be handled the same way, you purchase it with a part number at cost.