Rim Guard ballast fill issue - dealer filled 10 gal vs 30 gal expected

/ Rim Guard ballast fill issue - dealer filled 10 gal vs 30 gal expected #1  

Figure99

Tractor
Kioti CK3510SE, Massey Ferguson GC1725
I recently brought my new tractor to a local Rim Guard dealer to have the rear tires filled. The tires are Goodyear R14s, size 15-19.5, and should accept about 29 gallons each according to Rim Guard’s online calculator and the dealers reference sheet. I was extremely disappointed at pickut when my dealer told me they were only able to fill each tire with about 10 gallons of beet juice… they claimed each tire would only accept 10 gallons before beet juice started to back out of the valves stem. I couldn’t understand why as the physics dictate there should be plenty of volume to accept more than 10 gallons.

What do you guys think went wrong? I suspect the tech may not have followed the correct procedure or perhaps something is wrong with their equipment. Regardless, I’m scheduled to meet with the service manager next week to figure out what they can do for me. Thanks!

/ Rim Guard ballast fill issue - dealer filled 10 gal vs 30 gal expected #2  
I wonder if their "technician" didn't have the valve stem at the twelve o'clock position? Perhaps the volume measuring device was incorrect or misread?

/ Rim Guard ballast fill issue - dealer filled 10 gal vs 30 gal expected #3  
Show them that online Rim Guard calculator result, and ask them to show you the juice running out if the valve stem.

/ Rim Guard ballast fill issue - dealer filled 10 gal vs 30 gal expected #4  
Try this. Valve stem at 12-'O clock position. Put a puff or two of air into valve stem to clear it. Let some air out of the valve stem. Does it bleed just air or RimGuard.

/ Rim Guard ballast fill issue - dealer filled 10 gal vs 30 gal expected #5  
Doesn't the calculator show how full the tire is supposed to be?
Do like oosick wrote, but rotate it to see where it leaks.
Any chance someone had put fluid in before?
You write "new tractor" - but that sometimes just means new to you.

/ Rim Guard ballast fill issue - dealer filled 10 gal vs 30 gal expected #6  
Or if the tire was filled on the tractor, it wasn't jacked up to start filling.
As has been said clean the valve stem and rotate to see the fill level.

/ Rim Guard ballast fill issue - dealer filled 10 gal vs 30 gal expected
I wonder if their "technician" didn't have the valve stem at the twelve o'clock position? Perhaps the volume measuring device was incorrect or misread?
He claims he did have it a 12 o’clock. He did admit it was his first time filling tires, so I would not be surprised if he did something wrong or did not read the machine correctly. However the tractor doesn’t feel like it has 600+ lbs worth of ballast.

Show them that online Rim Guard calculator result, and ask them to show you the juice running out if the valve stem.
He did have the calculator and admitted they expected them to take 30 gallons each, but you’re right and I should have asked to show me. I’m going to take the advice below and see if I can measure the fluid level.

Try this. Valve stem at 12-'O clock position. Put a puff or two of air into valve stem to clear it. Let some air out of the valve stem. Does it bleed just air or RimGuard.
Thanks for the tip, I’m going to try this today and will post the results.

Doesn't the calculator show how full the tire is supposed to be?
Do like oosick wrote, but rotate it to see where it leaks.
Any chance someone had put fluid in before?
You write "new tractor" - but that sometimes just means new to you.
Sorry I should have clarified - the tractor is a new Kioti CK3510SE, so definitely nothing in the tires previously. Dealer I bought it from would not fill the tires with beet juice… they liked to use windshield washer fluid. I preferred beet juice due to the increased weight and the fact that it would not harm any animals on our property if it spilled.

/ Rim Guard ballast fill issue - dealer filled 10 gal vs 30 gal expected #8  
Was the weight taken off the back wheels when filling? Once filled you want no more that 10 or 15# of air in them.

/ Rim Guard ballast fill issue - dealer filled 10 gal vs 30 gal expected #9  
You can hit the tire with a hammer at different levels going up the side of the tire. There will be a different sound when you go above the fluid.

/ Rim Guard ballast fill issue - dealer filled 10 gal vs 30 gal expected
Was the weight taken off the back wheels when filling? Once filled you want no more that 10 or 15# of air in them.
Good question, it’ll be one of the first things I ask the service manager tomorrow.

It’s been raining here for two days so I haven’t had a chance to bleed the valve stems in an attempt to measure the fluid level… but should be able to test it tomorrow.

Last edited: