RK24 hydraulic leak

/ RK24 hydraulic leak #1  

Myz28u

Tractor
RK24
Noticed earlier this week that I had developed a hydraulic leak on the right rear final drive housing. It wasn稚 until operating in dusty conditions that I noticed the dirt sticking in that area. I checked and sure enough there was a small film of hyd oil on the bottom of the final drive assembly. I cleaned with brake cleaner and checked the drain bolt to make sure it was tight (it was). After cleaning the oil off I ran it for about 15 min and rechecked it. Sure enough a film of oil again.
After cleaning it off I left it for a few days to see if it leaked without running. Found a small oil spot under the tractor. It appeared that the leak was coming from the rear portion of the final drive. Just behind the bracket holding the lower 3pt draft arms on. Put a 17mm on the nuts and they were loose. Took about 3/4 of a turn in each to snug up. Checked the left side and one was about a 1/4 turn out on the upper stud. The lower was tight.
I checked oil level and ran it for a couple days around the property. Leak seems to be fixed. And it saved me a trip to RK. Just wanted to share this to encourage others to check those before they develop a leak as well.

/ RK24 hydraulic leak #2  
Thanks for posting.
I just picked up my RK24 and it's still in the trailer because it's raining but I will be putting a wrench on most of the bolts and nuts and fittings
as soon as I remove it from the trailer. We shouldn't have to do that - but if they are selling well, there might be an incentive to get them out the door quickly.
Therefore some things don't get torqued or tightened as much as they should, to save time. I believe that quality trumps quantity every time - but not everyone
thinks the way I do. Oh well - good thing I have the tools to check things out before I start using it like it was meant to be used.

/ RK24 hydraulic leak #3  
Part of RK's 50-hour maintenance is re-torquing bolts and nuts. As I recall, it was the same on my New Holland. I have to believe there is a similar schedule for most brands - lots of vibration and twisting on tractors...

/ RK24 hydraulic leak #4  
Thanks for this info!
I'll check torque on my RK24 this weekend.

/ RK24 hydraulic leak #5  
Hi there, I had the EXACT problem with a leak in my RK24. I checked the bolts and sure enough, they were very loose. Wiped it clean and still dry 3 days later. You saved us a trip to the dealer too. Thanks!
rk24 leak.jpg

/ RK24 hydraulic leak #6  
Noticed earlier this week that I had developed a hydraulic leak on the right rear final drive housing. It wasn稚 until operating in dusty conditions that I noticed the dirt sticking in that area. I checked and sure enough there was a small film of hyd oil on the bottom of the final drive assembly. I cleaned with brake cleaner and checked the drain bolt to make sure it was tight (it was). After cleaning the oil off I ran it for about 15 min and rechecked it. Sure enough a film of oil again.
After cleaning it off I left it for a few days to see if it leaked without running. Found a small oil spot under the tractor. It appeared that the leak was coming from the rear portion of the final drive. Just behind the bracket holding the lower 3pt draft arms on. Put a 17mm on the nuts and they were loose. Took about 3/4 of a turn in each to snug up. Checked the left side and one was about a 1/4 turn out on the upper stud. The lower was tight.
I checked oil level and ran it for a couple days around the property. Leak seems to be fixed. And it saved me a trip to RK. Just wanted to share this to encourage others to check those before they develop a leak as well.
Thanks for the post, I will be doing my fall check very soon, I will give special attention to this are as it appears more than one 24 owner has had this issue.