Loader Rock bucket on a CT225

/ Rock bucket on a CT225 #1  

pwright

Gold Member
Tractor
2012 Bobcat CT225
Anyone with a CT225 use a rock bucket with it? The 7TL loaders don't have the greatest lift capacity and the various rock buckets I've found are heavy enough to use up a good portion of that capacity which has me concerned about how useful it would end up being.

I've got a lot of rocks of various sizes that I need to get picked up and moved. Many of them more than I can lift.

/ Rock bucket on a CT225 #2  
Seems like my 7TL will lift plenty if you have the weight to handle it. I just leave my box blade on the back for an 800 pound counterweight and it seems to give me much more lift capacity before the back tires come off the ground.

/ Rock bucket on a CT225
My idea of lift plenty and yours are quite a bit different. :) The 7TL is only rated for 1,032 lbs which includes the bucket weight and since I have a Bobtach on mine I lose another 100 lbs or so. Rock buckets seem to weight in at 400+ lbs so I'll have lost half the lift capacity.

/ Rock bucket on a CT225 #4  
My idea of lift plenty and yours are quite a bit different. :) The 7TL is only rated for 1,032 lbs which includes the bucket weight and since I have a Bobtach on mine I lose another 100 lbs or so. Rock buckets seem to weight in at 400+ lbs so I'll have lost half the lift capacity.

Not really. I lift plenty of heavy stuff with heavy equipment, my favorite is a 10k pound telehandler. I just make sure what I am lifting is within the capabilities of the machine. I think that is where we differ. Expecting a small tractor to lift 500+ pound boulders safely is not realistic IMO.

Again, my Bobcat loader will lift more than the tractor can handle safely even with weight (boxblade and cab) on the back. Lifting until the tires come off the ground is plenty to me. If your idea of lifting plenty is flipping the tractor over then so be it. Obviously you knew the lift capacity when you bought the tractor so according to your math at this point it sounds like you are wanting to do more than what your tractor can safely handle. Not really sure what you are asking for at this point other than confirmation that your math is correct which I believe it is.

/ Rock bucket on a CT225 #5  
I have the same tractor & year as you and just looked up the specs again on it 1032 pounds is lifted two full height and that includes weight for the Bob Tech bucket already so you would be able to add 223 pounds if you're taking the Bob Tech bucket off. Plus most likely you won't be lifting to full height. Lift capacity at 59 inches in height 20 inches out from pivot pin is 1168 pounds +223 pounds if you're taking off the bucket. So total lift up to 59 inches high with no bucket is 1391 #s. If your rock bucket weighs about 400#s. You should be able to lift close to 1000#s up to 59 inches high and still be within tractors listed capacity. I would think that would be very effective.

/ Rock bucket on a CT225
tman - Thanks for the more accurate numbers. My tractor and manual are up at the property and I was going from memory. In theory a rock bucket should still be usable but I've just not seen anyone mention using one on a CT225/7TL, or for that matter a grapple, which has me concerned that their usefulness will be limited on this smaller loader/tractor.

I was hoping that someone on here had tried one and could relate some actual experience before I bought one.

/ Rock bucket on a CT225 #7  
Ted has successfully used the Bradco 55" Compact Rock Bucket on his little CT122, which is equipped with a 6TL Loader. That bucket weighs 278 pounds.

Here is a video featuring that same tractor using our 50" Single Lid Wicked Grapple. This will give you a better idea of what those tractors are capable of.
Travis

/ Rock bucket on a CT225
Thanks Travis! Wow! Ted works that CT122 way harder than I do my CT225. That bucket and grapple should both work well with my tractor.

Now I'm gonna need a third function kit for my tractor.

/ Rock bucket on a CT225 #10  
Thanks Travis! Wow! Ted works that CT122 way harder than I do my CT225.

Yea, if you work your tractor like Ted, there's a chance that you'll get to see it's belly!!
Both he and the tractor were OK.
20130828_161528.jpg